No brake lights.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

WyattBales

No brake lights.

Post by WyattBales »

Just bought my first beetle. Of course it's a 66' and I have ran into some issues. The brake lights don't come on when you push the brakes. I have replaced the relay on the master cylinder. Along with that. I have replaced the light assembly in the back. After all is done, I have used a test light and am receiving power through the tail light but no light. Possibly bad ground. Would this keep the brake light from working on the drivers side?
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Check for continuity from bulb housing to ground. Its an old car and grounds are major reason lights don't work when wiring is good.
WyattBales

Post by WyattBales »

I've been working on the lights for a week now. Progress has been made! Here my new problem. I bought a new light assembly (111945263F) and the wiring isn't anything special. On the left side you have two terminals and on the right side you have one. The ground wire is made with a whole drilled into the assembly (where the assembly curves) and connected with a bolt to the assembly and body. The terminals on the left side consist of the bottom for the tail light and the top for the turn signal. The right side is the brake light wire. All the wires are hot and work. After wiring it up I only get my tail light and turn signal. The brake light won't work. This is only happening on the passenger side. The drives side is fine and works well. I don't think it's a ground problem because if it was, I wouldn't be getting light at all.
Badman24

Post by Badman24 »

Look at the bottom of the bulb once inserted, you will need to remove the housing. When you push the bulb in and turn it the contacts on the bulb need to be in contact with the socket prongs. The socket prongs could also be bent and need to be bent back. One prong is for tail lights and the other for the brake lights. The car is the ground. So make sure the housing is touching the car for it to work. Take off the lens and just flip it over and you can see how the prongs touch the bulb.