installing a new fuel line

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Ramjetr

installing a new fuel line

Post by Ramjetr »

Hi has anyone ever changed a fuel line from front to back? what metal copper or steel?
gary haberman

replacement fuel lines

Post by gary haberman »

From what I read, the original fuel line was copper plated steel, I ordered 1/4" stainless steel from Summit racing to replace mine. The PO had replaced what I assume was a clogged line with copper tubing and ran it under the driver's side heater channel-dangerous as copper hardens and can crack as well as danger from vibration as it wasn't secured all that well. I used the method described in Bentley running the line inside the car (but encased it in 3/8" ID fuel line for additional safety.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

If I had to replace the steel line from front to back, I would use steel and not copper. I would do my best to set the new line as close to the pan bolts as possible. Do not use copper! Steel would be stronger to resist damage from debris that may come from the road. You can use rubber line clamps and screws to attach in the bottom of the heater channel if needed. That is how/where the dealers ran aluminum AC lines when they installed AC.

VW originally installed a copper coated (coating helped prevent corrosion) steel line. You can replace the line in the tunnel. It is attached at three points that you would have to access to remove the old line. There is a good thread on The Samba on instructions to replace.

Good Luck!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

On one of my cars they drilled a hole through the bulkhead and ran it along the right side of the tunnel, opposite side of the brake line. It's held on with rubber line clamps and screws, like darzoom describes.
Ramjetr

Fuel Line replacement

Post by Ramjetr »

Thanks for all your post. I inspected the fuel line and decided to leave it alone as the line looks really secured and doesn't look like its damaged or leaking

Thanks again