#narrow escape - blazing VW

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

#narrow escape - blazing VW

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
I wish to share an experience with hope to get people contributing on tips to help avoid blazing up your VW.

I had a battle with an engine fire (petrol flames) on my recently rebuilt camper van...what an experience...

Cause:- overflooded carb that had the area stained with petrol (I'm yet to establish why the overflow as the car just suddenly went off for me to find the carb area all wet.

I pulled over & was waiting for the fuel to vaporize out).
My advice from the resulting aftermath:
1. Ensure the engine is always dried off any petrol whatever the cause of it, before attempting to crank.
2. Ensure no loose wires (I didn't find any on my part & call for some more insight on what other things can create a spark.
3. Have a good lock on your decklid to allow ease of access to the engine especially in an emergency state. (my lock that I've now replaced had a key that had to go in 3/4 way to open. In an emergency situation, 3/4 way calculations -or any other funny twists can deprive you of your minute of salvation.
4. Always have an easily accessible fire extinguisher close by. My $4 extinguisher helped save the situation. I have gone for a larger one as what I earlier had was a 500ml container that almost run out before the fire did.

Hey, please add on to this thread with information that can help in such an eventuality... It was an experience that almost saw dreams burn-down so fast.

Glad to have driven the van the following having replaced the lead wires & fuel lines. All other parts are the same.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Be sure to check the brass line going into the top of the aluminum float housing on the carb as it is a pressure fit and it may work loose. It may require a dimple with a punch on the housing to tighten it up.

I too had the same issue occur when fueling at the petrol pump. The car started and pressure from the fuel pump caused fuel to spray around the loose brass line and it eventually popped out spraying the engine down. The coil wire became wet with fuel and ignited the car.

Check the brass line for tightness. Glad you had an extinguisher and your experience turned out better than many others. Moral of the story:

"Have a Fire Extinguisher in the car!"