brake fluid recommendations

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

DPIGGUY

brake fluid recommendations

Post by DPIGGUY »

Stock '66 system (single). Brake reservoir split at seams and replacing same. Just realized that I have not purchased any brake fluid for this vehicle and as such, what is the recommended type, brand, etc? Help would be appreciated and yes, I am obviously new at this!
DPIGGUY

Post by DPIGGUY »

Doing own research on which fluid to use. Best I can tell, Dot 3 glycol based is stock. I can only find it on line. Before I order, any insight on this choice?? Bug doesn't need higher temp Dot 4 or 5, and concerned that silicone based synthetics might not be compatible with rubber seals, etc.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.

I've personally used dot4 on my bug. It has used that for 3 yrs having overhauled the rubbers once when servicing the car when I got it.

My thinking is, since I used modern rubbers to replace, they might go well with the current fluid in the today market.

All the best.
DPIGGUY

Post by DPIGGUY »

Thanks KKV270. I decided to use DOT 4 as well. Wheel cylinders and master have been rebuilt so rubber parts should be okay. Time will tell. Finished replacing reservoir and line to master and all is go for now.