Really tight hard to open passenger door

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jhiner1978

Really tight hard to open passenger door

Post by jhiner1978 »

The door on the passenger side of the car seems really really tight and hard to close and open, do I just spray some penetrating oil in the pin area or is there something I can loosen as well? :x
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Penetrating oil in the hinges couldn't hurt.

I'm guessing something physical is slowing the doors movement. Look at the gap between the door and the body just before the door is closed and just after. If it isn't even the entire way around, then something is bent.

The other common issue is the door seal. If you have an after market door seal, it maybe too large. Many of the new seals are over sized and don't permit the door to close easily.
jhiner1978

Post by jhiner1978 »

It is really hard to open the entire way not just when I start to open it, definitely something to do with the hinges.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

PB Blaster......
jhiner1978

Post by jhiner1978 »

That is what I was thinking, didn't know if I needed to remove the pins and clean them or something. It's so tight that the door jam flexes a little bit next to the hinges
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

The pins have to be pressed out and it is best done with a tool made to make it happen. You can beat it with a hammer and punch but it will be most difficult to get out without the tool. Many will say I used this and that and got it out. I too took them out with an air chisel as I was repainting the car and was replacing the hinges anyway. Search online and you will see the many tools out their and methods others have used. If you choose to press them out, buy new pins and ream out the hinges to accommodate the oversized pins.

P.S. Try PB Blaster first. Use a heat gun (not a torch or you will burn the paint) or blow dryer and put the hinge through heat cycles to get the oil in.

Good Luck!
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Yes ...any common brand of penetrating oil (some have graphite powder, which also helps) on both hinges. Squirt liberally on the spaces in BOTH hinges, using a rag or shop towel to catch any drippage. Then, work the door back and forth vigorously from almost closed to fully open ..many, many times. Clean the hinges of rusty oil residue ....repeat lubrication and working the door. This has worked very well for me ...without the painful process of removing the hinge pin. You want the hinges to be 'tight-ish', but not too tight, and certainly not sloppy-loose. When done, you can clean up the penetrating oil with brake cleaner (again, use a shop rag to protect any painted surfaces) and then very lightly oil with motor oil, or some spray-lube white grease.
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

You should always avoid high flash solents around paint, clear coat, or plastics- stuff like laquer thinner, acetone, benzine, toluline, carb cleaner, etc. If the brake cleaner feels cold to the skin and dries quickly, it's more likely to attack the paint. Use WD 40 to clean as it does not attack the paint or clear coat (if you have any).
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Yeah.....like I said: if using brake cleaner to up clean up oil / grease, etc. use something to protect the paint. (is there an echo in here .....in here. ...in here?)
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."