Gearbox Rebuild

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

Gearbox Rebuild

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
Yesterday was one of the worst experiences ever....that had several lessons. Poor pressure plate diaphram jacked off position....and after replacing, found the gearbox got stuck on gear 2 and would not budge NO MATTER WHAT!!

I think I want to attempt a gearbox rebuild. I need all the help on this. It feels like a surgery proceedure that is so delicate with a wrong move rendering me in a future sorry state.....or is it not????
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Old post.....
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Kindly send me the link. Thanks.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Sorry, I misread your post. A gear box rebuild is not something to take lightly. You need specialized tools (some you can make) and fixtures for assembly and it is not something easily explainable in test messages. Look at the video on YouTube Building a VW transmission and read al bunch before you start.
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Thanks Darzoom.
I have a vw service manual I will try follow to the later and all YouTube resources.
Thanks for that note.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Sometimes you can jam the transmission in two gears, and you can remove the transmission nosecone and move the shift forks around to unjam them.

Forget rebuilding the transmission yourself. It takes numerous special tools and you must be an experienced rebuilder who is in practice.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

In a similar vein. I've asked this question numerous times and never really got a 'straight' answer: is there anyway to 'diagnosis' a transmission for potential issues while it is not attached to an engine? The tranny in my 66 jumps out of 2nd gear. I have two other possible 66 swap-in gearboxes, but not sure of their condition ....I'd like to have a general idea of their condition before I do all the swap work. Any suggestions???
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
KKV270

Post by KKV270 »

Blue Baron wrote:Sometimes you can jam the transmission in two gears, and you can remove the transmission nosecone and move the shift forks around to unjam them.

Forget rebuilding the transmission yourself. It takes numerous special tools and you must be an experienced rebuilder who is in practice.
Wow!
I just wish the first suggestion will work for me.
Cheers.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

All you can really do with the transmission out of the car is turn the axles back and forth against each other to look for excessive wear in the ring and pinion. You can also drain the gear oil to see if it's clear, or if it is a mess of metal shavings. As to whether the tranny is any good, it's basically a crap shoot.