My UK '66 1300

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

tofufi wrote:Love the unusual lenses :D

Are you looking to find the tail light surrounds too, or just keep the lenses alone? I think they look great as they are 8)
I was just gonna run as they are, I think the car is too 'new' for the fluted housings which is why I was stoked to get the lenses for £12!!!!

btw your cars coming on really well dude!

Alex.
funkycapricorn

Post by funkycapricorn »

Really its amazing... :)
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

Probably the best restocal bug ive ever seen,
love everything about it!

I want mine to sit and look like this... but cant afford the body work and nice paint, so im gunna create my own Rustowagen style :twisted:

anyway enough brown nosin. sick bug :roll:
Rückspiegel

Post by Rückspiegel »

Hi Alex!

Saw your Bug live in Esher at VWS 2008.
Fantastic work, Dude!

cheers
Alex
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Thanks guy's :oops: 8)

I've been busy buying some more accessories this winter and hope to get them fitted in the next couple of weeks ready for the 2010 Volksworld Show, i'll get pics up when I can.

Good luck to everyone else putting their rides together for the new show season!!

Alex.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

UPDATE!

so finally after what seem's the longest winter ever, the sun is shining and the shows have started.

more due to luck than anything else, Volksworld magazine ended up using the car to promote their national Volksworld Show here in the UK, it's probably the most prestigous show in Europe and I was invited to show the car in the show halls, which I would never have the opportunity to do normally due to the standards required for the quality of entry, but they wanted to try and re-create the advert that they have been running to promote the show. They basically loaded the car and all the racks with luggage and junk and ran the strap line 'Pack your bags for the Volksworld Show' What was doubly cool was that after an initial shoot at the sow venue, we ended up using a proper studio so it was really interesting to see how the 'proper' cars get their features shot!

original shoot pic:

Some of the studio shot's, the last few cases ended up being photoshopped for the ad as the studio roof was not high enough!

This all happened in early October,so I had a few months to consider what the car needed to help keep it looking respectable enough for the show in late March.

The original plan over the winter was to fit steel repro fenderskirts that I bought 3 years ago, not as straight forward as you may think when running my suspension set up, the list of modifications needed were redrilled drums, that also need re machining of the inside of the snouts for Fuchs to fit, new tyres, and then when we offered the skirts up to the wings, because they are repop wings some metal work is required so they sit properly, all this of course as well as sorting beading and good paint prep, colour match and painting.

we offered the skirts up just with the new tyres:

With everything needed to fit these, and the fact that I knew I needed to spend some money on some other bit's 'n pieces to get the car a bit more upto scratch, I decided to delay the skirts for another season at least.

This meant the budget for the car over the winter went elsewhere.

Firstly I imported an Original style rear window blind from Australia, still made by the same supplier to the same specs as 'back in the day' then I managed to score a AAA National Award car badge through thesamba.com, I mounted this on the front bumper with a bracket that I cobbled together, I tidied up some of the exterior trim with new jacking point covers, running board trim and another pair of kerb feelers, I also refitted the safety star. As well as the exterior bit's n' pieces, I like to display original '66 literature inside the car and I was lucky enough to sourced some more brochures and dealer literature to display in the car. I also refitted the larger 206/65/15 Firestones on the rear and managed to get all this lot sorted despite having flu, chest infections and bronchitus in the weeks leading up to the show. It was great getting the car inside though:

After the show, I came across these Porsche 356 style headlamp guards that have been designed to fit over the front of the head lamp glass and need no modifications to fit. They are slightly different to the current 356 grills on the market, and these ones are'nt perfect as they are the first off the production line. Anyways, I fitted them the other day and will run them and see what my mates think once they see them in the flesh re: the quality.

Alex.
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

That's a beautiful car, and I love the grills! :D
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

agggilli wrote:That's a beautiful car, and I love the grills! :D
Thanks bud! 8)

Alex.
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

Would you ever sell your fender skirts? 8) Not 100% interested but it would be nice to know
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

crazydaze wrote:UPDATE!

so finally after what seem's the longest winter ever, the sun is shining and the shows have started.

more due to luck than anything else, Volksworld magazine ended up using the car to promote their national Volksworld Show here in the UK, it's probably the most prestigous show in Europe and I was invited to show the car in the show halls, which I would never have the opportunity to do normally due to the standards required for the quality of entry, but they wanted to try and re-create the advert that they have been running to promote the show. They basically loaded the car and all the racks with luggage and junk and ran the strap line 'Pack your bags for the Volksworld Show' What was doubly cool was that after an initial shoot at the sow venue, we ended up using a proper studio so it was really interesting to see how the 'proper' cars get their features shot!

original shoot pic:

Some of the studio shot's, the last few cases ended up being photoshopped for the ad as the studio roof was not high enough!

This all happened in early October,so I had a few months to consider what the car needed to help keep it looking respectable enough for the show in late March.

The original plan over the winter was to fit steel repro fenderskirts that I bought 3 years ago, not as straight forward as you may think when running my suspension set up, the list of modifications needed were redrilled drums, that also need re machining of the inside of the snouts for Fuchs to fit, new tyres, and then when we offered the skirts up to the wings, because they are repop wings some metal work is required so they sit properly, all this of course as well as sorting beading and good paint prep, colour match and painting.

we offered the skirts up just with the new tyres:

With everything needed to fit these, and the fact that I knew I needed to spend some money on some other bit's 'n pieces to get the car a bit more upto scratch, I decided to delay the skirts for another season at least.

This meant the budget for the car over the winter went elsewhere.

Firstly I imported an Original style rear window blind from Australia, still made by the same supplier to the same specs as 'back in the day' then I managed to score a AAA National Award car badge through thesamba.com, I mounted this on the front bumper with a bracket that I cobbled together, I tidied up some of the exterior trim with new jacking point covers, running board trim and another pair of kerb feelers, I also refitted the safety star. As well as the exterior bit's n' pieces, I like to display original '66 literature inside the car and I was lucky enough to sourced some more brochures and dealer literature to display in the car. I also refitted the larger 206/65/15 Firestones on the rear and managed to get all this lot sorted despite having flu, chest infections and bronchitus in the weeks leading up to the show. It was great getting the car inside though:

Alex.
What a coincidence! My daughter put together a t-shirt design for a VW show and swap meet for later this summer. See the similarities:)
Attachments
Volksfesttshirtdesignsmall.jpg
Volksfesttshirtdesignsmall.jpg (15.01 KiB) Viewed 30303 times
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Aircooledbenny wrote:Would you ever sell your fender skirts? 8) Not 100% interested but it would be nice to know
I'm affraid I have no plans to sell them at the moment, there is a guy that trades at the shows who imports VW's and parts from Australia and he sells these steel repo's, Although I sourced mine through a friend. Having spoken to some metal working guys, they say that it would be a similar cost to make skirts to fit an individual car compared to buying these steel repo's so maybe worth thinking about.

Lovin the T-Shirt pic!!!! She has talent!!!

Alex
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

repros are like £250 ... wings are cheaper than that! :shock:
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Aircooledbenny wrote:repros are like £250 ... wings are cheaper than that! :shock:
Original wings aren't ;-)

and these will probably only go straight onto original wngs, so by the time you've messed about chopping repro wings and skirts about, you could have had fenderskirts made to fit the shape of the wings perfectly. These skirts cost £150

Original foxcraft skirts are in the £700 region!

Alex
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

Im in sixth form and i dont even have a job :lol:
Im gunnaa have to seriously work hard to get this sorta stuff!

Are you going to do eastbourne extream - Bus stop thingy?

Ive been to the past 3 brighton breeze's and I cant not stare at your bug. I need to fit my albert mirrors... they look cool 8)
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Aircooledbenny wrote:Im in sixth form and i dont even have a job :lol:
Im gunnaa have to seriously work hard to get this sorta stuff!

Are you going to do eastbourne extream - Bus stop thingy?

Ive been to the past 3 brighton breeze's and I cant not stare at your bug. I need to fit my albert mirrors... they look cool 8)
Best advice I can give is buy the decent parts once, the cheap repro stuff generally ends up costing you more :wink: :lol:

If you have any advice or questions ask away, I wish I knew people 'in the know' when I was starting out in the scene, it would have saved me heartache and a fair bit of money that was wasted on rubbish quality parts or stuff I did'nt need! but I guess we all live and learn.

I'm hoping to possibly get to the Dubs at the Park Show in May and will almost definately be at Stonor Park at the beginning of June.

It would be great to meet up, let me know if your going to either of the above!!

One of my mates took this shot at Big Bang on Sunday!

Alex.