My UK '66 1300

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
crazydaze

My UK '66 1300

Post by crazydaze »

Hi all!

I have had my '66 1300 since 1995. It's my first and only Vdub and has gone through alot of work over the past years to get it to how it looks today.

Having searched for the months it was the only pre '67 Bug I could find locally, generally Original, 6 Volt etc, the poor old girl had had a front end whack at somepoint and the dreaded rust had taken hold underneath.

In Late '95 I commisioned a full resto on the car, and with all the bodywork taken care of and a change to 12v electrics the car hit the road as my only car:

The day I picked her (Ruby) up:

a work in progress September 1995

A couple of years later:

Starting down the resto-cal route:

at SPA le Bug Show Belgium August 2005

How the car is now, running original wings that have a much nicer shape than the old ones. Some of the accessories have gone to be replaced with repro Albert quarter panel mounted wing mirrors, and a number of new accessories have found there way inside, including a NOS airway compass, red empi horn push, Brexton seat trays and new period literature.

She has also had fitted new front disc brakes, dual circuit master and disc brake dropped spindles to allow the fitment of Flat 4 Replica 4.5" Polished Fuchs on the front and 5.5" Fuchs on the rear as well as running a 4.5" Spare as well!!

Anyway, still more things planned and I'll keep you updated!

and from my Volksworld Magazine photoshoot:

and finally:

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Alex - That is a beautiful car - and so much work went into it - most people would probably have just given up and let it go to the salvage yard - thankfully there are people like you out there that believe in bringing some of these cars back to their original glory - she's a great looking car - congratulations - I'm sure she turns heads where ever you go!

PS. Could you do me a favor and edit the size of the pictures down so that we can read your story without having to scroll to the right - I don't want people to miss any of the story! Thanks. John
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

jmartini wrote:Alex - That is a beautiful car - and so much work went into it - most people would probably have just given up and let it go to the salvage yard - thankfully there are people like you out there that believe in bringing some of these cars back to their original glory - she's a great looking car - congratulations - I'm sure she turns heads where ever you go!
In the UK we have to deal with the dreaded rust on almost all the old VW's, and there are plenty that have to under go such drastic surgery, at least you have the escurity of knowing exactly what has been done and to what standard, and just driving the car more than makes up for the expense etc.

Alot of the metal may have been changed and worked on, but all the OG switch gear etc has been retained and of course plenty of accessories collected as well.

The car still runs the OG gear box, unfortunately the 1300 motor gave up a few years ago and was replaced by a 1600 tp with twin 40 dellortos - great for the extra power, kinda regret not keeping the OG motor and having it rebuilt now though, really shoulda at least kept it :?

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It's a great story! I love the rear tray table - what's the story behind that?
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

The chair trays are OG 1960's Brexton trays, as are the door trays, all found on ebay 8)

Alex.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hi Crazydaze,

I must congratulate you on an absolutely stunning restoration! Well done.

What type of radio is that in your car? It vaguely resembles a Blaupunkt I have but has a different push-button configuration from mine.

Cheers!
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Thanks! 8)

The radio is definately a Blaupunkt, though what model I am not sure!!! My car came with a radio from the factory/dealership but it was long gone when I bought the car.. I sourced this radio on German ebay, it's a fully restored 1966 Blaupunkt something or another with the correct VW tuning and Volume knob's, I'll take a look tommorow and see if the model number is on the back etc!!

Alex.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Mine has a label on the top right side that says it's a Blaupunkt Autoradio Super 92220. I bought mine at a VW swap meet here in the States. My radio still needs restoring though.
'66 Type I
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Here's the OG Label - It's a Blaupunkt Essen.

Alex.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Alex, I thank you for that Sir. Very kewl. How are you able to post such nice pic's without all the text and hubbub surrounding it? Are you using the "Add Attachment" feature or no?
'66 Type I
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

8) I host my pics on photo bucket, and then hit the Image tabs to post the pic here!

Alex.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Alex:
Wow , very very nice.If you ever find a tray shelf like the one the is on your car in the same condition ,please let me know.I would purchase it.

Thanks

mdazzo@optonline.net
volksbugusa
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

volksbugusa wrote:Alex:
Wow , very very nice.If you ever find a tray shelf like the one the is on your car in the same condition ,please let me know.I would purchase it.

Thanks

mdazzo@optonline.net
volksbugusa

Thanks!

I will do, or I will pm you the link ;-)

Alex.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Hi Folks!

A while since I updated here, so here we go!

Show season is well and truly over here in the UK and with nothing until late March I have been concentrating on sourcing some more accessories and parts - these should hopefully be painted etc in the new year, I will get some pics up as and when everything starts to come together.

In the mean time, I was lucky to get in contact with a semi-pro photographer who asked if I could help out with an exhibition/gallery project he is putting together. He asked if he could use my ride for some additional material, and with heavy rain all day we spent a couple of hours in his local covered car park taking some shots etc, I think they turned out pretty well!!

http://www.grantgb.com/lucie.htm

Alex.
RobM

Post by RobM »

crazydaze wrote:Hi Folks!

A while since I updated here, so here we go!

Show season is well and truly over here in the UK and with nothing until late March I have been concentrating on sourcing some more accessories and parts - these should hopefully be painted etc in the new year, I will get some pics up as and when everything starts to come together.

In the mean time, I was lucky to get in contact with a semi-pro photographer who asked if I could help out with an exhibition/gallery project he is putting together. He asked if he could use my ride for some additional material, and with heavy rain all day we spent a couple of hours in his local covered car park taking some shots etc, I think they turned out pretty well!!

Alex.

Spectacular restoration! Quite stunning. Thanks for the update.