My UK '66 1300

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

So I ran the car to the National Volksworld Show without the bumper bars:

I like the clean look 8)

Dash clock went down well:

And as for shopping? I managed to pick up a matching nos Bosch spotlight (the clear lense one here) to match the yellow lense one I picked up a few months ago 8) I hope to get them on the car at some point this year!

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It looks beautiful - and what a find on those lights - I'm jealous. I'm sure you'll find a lense for one of them!
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

I may well run them as is, I have a '67 fog lamp switch from a bus that will do the job and look right in the dash, though I may have to run the bumper bars to even out the front end (these are 6" units)

How are you guy's doing? Your show season kicking off yet?

Alex.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Things will start pretty quick here in Wisconsin - our local club has laready had a meeting and three of us showed up in our cars even though it's not good driving weather yet.
kartl

Post by kartl »

this would be my new idol, i just love what he just made on his car . i just hope i have the funding to make such project
Last edited by kartl on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 9 times in total.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

jmartini wrote:Things will start pretty quick here in Wisconsin - our local club has laready had a meeting and three of us showed up in our cars even though it's not good driving weather yet.
Good news! This time of year is great, full of anticipation for the summer!!

I have a friend who moved to Chicago 18 months ago (from Atlanta), she says snow is now cleared, but she's moving back to Atlanta, better weather all year round etc :lol:

She's importing her OG paint, 50k mile from new rhd '64 Steel Sunroof bug from the UK to Georgia later this year, she says she'll make more use of the Sunroof compared to living in the UK :lol: :lol:

Alex.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

A couple of pics from this weekend, I refitted the bug deflector, fitted the foglamps, and mud flaps and curb feelers:

Alex.
RobM

Post by RobM »

crazydaze wrote:A couple of pics from this weekend, I refitted the bug deflector, fitted the foglamps, and mud flaps and curb feelers:
Alex.

Very cool! :D

I know my ignorance is showing here--because I've seen them around--but what is the wide bazooka-tube mounted above the passenger door?
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

RobM wrote:
crazydaze wrote:A couple of pics from this weekend, I refitted the bug deflector, fitted the foglamps, and mud flaps and curb feelers:
Alex.

Very cool! :D

I know my ignorance is showing here--because I've seen them around--but what is the wide bazooka-tube mounted above the passenger door?
It's 1950's air-con 8) or more commonly called a Swamp Cooler.

Sold in the southern 'dry' states, you fill 'em with water and this condenses the air as it flows through straw wadding inside the tube and blows cool air into the car - well that's the theory anyway! My mate found this one on ebay still in the OG box and imported it to the UK from California, he needed cash and before he could change his mind I bought it off him for a bargain price.

Alex.
RobM

Post by RobM »

It's 1950's air-con 8) or more commonly called a Swamp Cooler.

Sold in the southern 'dry' states, you fill 'em with water and this condenses the air as it flows through straw wadding inside the tube and blows cool air into the car - well that's the theory anyway! My mate found this one on ebay still in the OG box and imported it to the UK from California, he needed cash and before he could change his mind I bought it off him for a bargain price.

Alex.[/quote]

Ah! Makes perfect sense. I just never knew what they were. Thanks.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Rollin' home from VW Action 2009 a few weeks ago:

I have plans for fitting fenderskirts over the winter, but will have to change out the rear brake drum's etc and with the birth of my first child this summer, money will be tight! You guy's will be the first to know/get progress reports!!!

Apologies for not posting too much recently, it's been a busy few months!

Alex.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Wow cool red Bug. Did you go with the stock ruby red? You can't always tell from the pictures. Mine is supposed to be Ruby Red but the PO had the car re-sprayed a non-stock color.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

rokemester wrote:Wow cool red Bug. Did you go with the stock ruby red? You can't always tell from the pictures. Mine is supposed to be Ruby Red but the PO had the car re-sprayed a non-stock color.
Yep, it's Ruby Red, although different batches seem to come up a little different! :lol:

Alex.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

I scored some Elektric tail light lenses at a show swap meet this year, they needed a clean and polish and I thought I'd fit them as they are a little unusual

Originally these would have had a cool fluted grey plastic holder and were produced as a set to update 'small light' 50's and early 60's model bugs.

YET another accessory, but probably the least noticeable :lol:

Alex.
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

Love the unusual lenses :D

Are you looking to find the tail light surrounds too, or just keep the lenses alone? I think they look great as they are 8)