pulled stud !!! advice needed.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

KKV270

pulled stud !!! advice needed.

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.
I have been working on a rebuild. Unfortunately, having gone all the way to mating the two halves, there's a nut, accoring to the manual, is a very important one, to be torqued first before the main 6 nuts. I wish Id have known...but whoever had worked on the block earlier pulled its threads. I hear the stud holds the cum shaft in firmly. How serious is it carrying on minus that stud?? I have gone so far.....dont mind tracing my steps back to ensure a solid future...but can I confidently do without the stud??? Kindly advice.

Thanks.

The stud/nut is the one next to one of the main nuts, next to cylinder no 1.
Thanks.
Cribbs74

Post by Cribbs74 »

I would like to offer advice. Unfortunately I have never gone through a VW engine rebuild. I have done many other engines though.

Could you provide a picture?

One thing I will say is that I doubt there is superfluous hardware that can be dismissed inside the block.

You have a couple options to repair the threads, seeing as the engine is partially assembled a heli-coil would be your best bet at this juncture.

You could have the case welded and drilled, but that would probably require dissassembly.

Ron
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Need to know which stud. To be honest, they were all put there for a reason and are needed. I would suggest a helicoil. If a cylinder/ head stud I would suggest case savers and new studs. Good luck!
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »