Another overheating question

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cribbs74

Another overheating question

Post by Cribbs74 »

What would be considered normal operating temps?

I drove 14 miles today in my newly acquired 66' when I stopped I shut down the engine, quickly jumped out and used the laser temp gun to check different areas of type engine. The case was 185f the tins were 212f and the jugs were 320 right and 350 left.

Is this considered overheating? Reason I ask is the previous owner mentioned it overheats and had installed standoffs on the deck lid. I took them off as I don't like them

Ron
Cribbs74

Post by Cribbs74 »

I should also mention that it's a 1600 DP.
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

I can't comment on the laser temp readings, but a common way to check your engine temp is to touch your oil dipstick handle. If you can touch your oil dipstick handle while it's in the engine for any length of time, it's not running too hot. If you can't touch it long enough to pull out of the engine, it's probably running hot. Not very scientific, but useful.

Other tell tails are the low oil pressure light coming on. Does it smell hot? Are the valves getting tighter?

Are all of the cooling tins in place? Is it running lean? Timing set correctly? Any other issues that would make you believe something is wrong?
Cribbs74

Post by Cribbs74 »

Herc,

Thanks for the response. I did do the dipstick test and it was pretty darn hot. I could hold it, but I really wanted to drop it....

All tins and rubber in place, heater boxes removed, timing is set to 7.5 degrees BTDC. Carb tune was completed when timing was set. No poping on overrun.

No gen/oil light coming on or anything like that.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

From Gene Berg "If the temperature is higher than 235°F, the heat can cause case studs to pull out, head and case sealing surfaces to warp, cases to be internally distorted, permanent case metal fatigue and engine bearings to wear prematurely."

Try a candy thermometer.... Further:

A word of caution from Gene Berg: “Practically all (temperature gauges) read low in the 212°F to 260°F (100°C to 127°C) degree range by 40°F to 50°F (4°C to 10°C) degrees ...”

"I inserted a candy thermometer with a 6-inch probe in the dipstick hole (calibrated at the boiling point of water - 212°F (100°C). Following a half hour run at full speed on the highway, ambient temperature 95°F (35°C), the gauge I installed in the dash read 182°F (83°C), while the candy thermometer in the dipstick hole read 220°F (104°C). However, with the sensor installed in the oil pressure relief valve plug at the pulley end of the engine, the temperature readings on the gauge in the dash and the candy thermometer in the dipstick hole were virtually the same.

This is all from here:

http://www.vw-resource.com/overheating.html
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

zoom, I like the candy thermometer idea.

I bought one of these and really like it. No permanent modifications and peace of mind.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1428270

The wire on the top of the sender moves in an arc until it reaches an unsafe temp and grounds the oil pressure light. I've learned to see at what point in the arc the wire is to gauge how the oil is doing.
Cribbs74

Post by Cribbs74 »

Good idea, does the probe have markings on it that allow it to also be used as a dipstick?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The oil temperature dipstick is a good addition, but from my experience they start flicking well within the safety zone. It isn't until it starts staying on solid that I slow down.
planenut

Post by planenut »

I think around 200 is normal. My VW shop says the holding the dipstick thing. I have the Temp Warning Dipstick with the same setup, and on a normal hot day, it stays around 1/4 to 3/8" from the screw. I figure that is the 200 range, since the screw is 235. By the way, I found 3 different thermometers reading different. Just be aware.