Cardboard trunk liner questions

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Cardboard trunk liner questions

Post by Digger89L »

I'm thinking about trying to repair / restore the OE black cardboard trunk liner in my 66 ....its all there, just torn and worn. Can anyone confirm what it is actually made of: is it just black-dyed cardboard, or did VW treat it with some kind of asphalt or tar or something like that?
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Im not sure what it's made from, but wolfsburgwest make a nice reproduction trunk liner.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 113863509C
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Yes, that's the frustrating part for us Canucks up here in the Great White North: $36 for the liner, but $175 for shipping! Really!! So, for $211 I figure I can spend a few hours figuring out how to restore one that's got a few years (decades?) left in it!! LOL
"If you can't fix it with zip ties and duct tape, or hold it together with velcro or magnets, it REALLY is broken."
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Sure is quiet around here Cue the crickets: .......chirp .......chirp ........chirp.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I wouldn't bother trying to restore one. They fall to pieces when they get old. I'd look for good used, buy the repro or search for the closest VW parts seller in Canada.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I'm actually making pretty good progress on the restoration of my 1966 vintage cardboard trunk liner. Haven't been documenting it, because its fairly obviously (from the lack of response here on the forum) that no one else is really interested. However, I will post a few pics in a while showing progress. With good quality carpenters glue, and some carefully placed weights, I have been able to repair all of the tears (some were pretty bad). I only wish I had taken some 'before' pics to compare with the 'during and after' pics. So ...all you doubters out ther ...stay tuned.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

It's not that I'm a doubter or that I don't care. It's that good replacements are available and that was the route I chose to go. But I'm all for doing it yourself.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

was it fun and how did it turn out?