Name That Seat

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

grgnkat

Name That Seat

Post by grgnkat »

Hi new guy here, glad to be aboard. I have had my '66 VW a few years just sitting and have just decided to work on it. I bought it from my brother for what he had paid $250.

When I first got it it did run, but backfired, but now the battery is dead. It has been converted to 12 volt with a '69 engine. really not in that bad of condition. The carb. is a two barrel Holly. Gotta change that.

The car had 68/69 high back bucket seats it it. I wanted to go back to the low back. So on a trip I spotted a vw in a small junk yard and stopped to look at it, it was Sunday and they were closed. It had the low back seats and looked like a 65/66 but was a '68 with different fenders.

I called the owner and made the three hundred mile round trip and walked away with the seats for forty bucks.

Now my question what did I buy. The seats are low back but much thicker than any other vw I have seen. The backrest is over five inches thick and seems to have springs inside the backrest. The seats have been upholstered with a fabric, so not origional.

I don't think these are 65/66 seats the backrest would be thinner a friend has one.

Any idea's on what I have?????????????????????? :D
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi grgnkat and welcome!

I'm not sure what you have but if you could attach a few pictures to the post that might help someone on the board identify them for you. Take a look a the attached picture and you can see what the 66 seat mechanism looked like - this was a change for the 1966 model year. Sorry the pictures not a very good one - I'll try to get another shot up here in the next couple of days. Great to see you on the forum and I hope we'll all get to see some pictures of your 66 too!
Attachments
seatlock.jpg
seatlock.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 5199 times
grgnkat

Post by grgnkat »

Thanks John,

My seats don't have a lock to hold the backrest from going forward, so I guess it is not 66 seats.

The back of my seat is a squared top as compared to a rounded top like 65/67. It must be from an earlier year. I just need to have an idea so when I order new seat upholstery.
grgnkat

Post by grgnkat »

Hope this photo make it through, it may not be my best but it is my first
Attachments
seat.jpg
(157.91 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi grngkat: I edited the photo so that it would not display and cause the topic to have a scroll bar. It is still the same size when you click on the "Download" link.
sonofherbie

Welcome, grgnkat

Post by sonofherbie »

Where in Virginia are you? I'm in southwest/southside (Henry Co.). Maybe we could compare notes/frustrations!
grgnkat

Post by grgnkat »

Not far at all, Dinwiddie County off of 85 and 460.
grgnkat

Post by grgnkat »

Looks like the seats are from a 58/64 VW. I found a set on ebay for a hundred bucks, they look the same.