Generator Questions

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

sbarr

Generator Questions

Post by sbarr »

I completed (I think) a generator swap on a 66 12 volt Beetle last night.
I used some YouTube videos as a guide. The fan nut being the exception, things went pretty much as expected.
On to the questions.
On the video, it was demonstrated how to polarize the generator, I followed these steps, but a small spark was all I got for my trouble. Battery was fully charged, verified voltage was at the coil. Nothing.
I remembered he said not all generators need this, so I finished hooking it up, measured voltage at one point on the voltage regulator for reference, started the car, measured again, and had +1.75 volts than the baseline. Didn't worry then about the polarizing as it was outputting voltage.
Today, at an idle, the generator light is lit on the dash. I read where its nothing to worry over if you can verify your generator is working, which I believe I have done.
Am I overlooking anything here. Advice appreciated.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

If the light goes out and stays out when you increase rpm, you should be fine. The light staying on during idle could indicate some resistance in your 49-year-old wiring.