Yellow Paint!?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jpcurro51

Yellow Paint!?

Post by jpcurro51 »

My '66 is painted yellow. Like a banana yellow! I do not see this color on any '66 color charts. I have looked everywhere and I see no evidence that it was repainted. I even peeled off the paint from a rust scab and I cannot see anything other than yellow paint. No other color layers, other than the primer.

Anyone else have a '66 banana?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Right, there was no yellow for 1966 model year. I can't imagine that the factory did any special paint jobs back then. You can find out what the original color was by sending away for your beetles birth certificate. FYI - my first bug was painted Sun Bug Gold in California and I couldn't find any indication of the previous color - however a good place to look is down the channels inside the trunk (Where the heater hoses run up to the dash and you will need a flashlight) or back inside the front heater vents - Good luck!
jpcurro51

Yellow Paint

Post by jpcurro51 »

I have checked every nook and cranny. If somebody repainted it, they did an excellent job! And like I said, I chipped off a small piece of paint and there is no indication of any color other than the yellow. I want to do some repairs, but I also really want to match the paint color.

I am going to send for the birth certificate. It has an unusual serial number like - 1166448800 - and the body and chassis numbers match. It will be interesting to see what the VW birth certificate says.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Great - Make sure you tell us what it says - that vin number seems normal to me!
jpcurro51

Post by jpcurro51 »

Well, thanks for the help! I looked under the hood, deep into the side panels and discovered that my 66 was originally RED! Great, now I have to repaint it. But, like my wife is saying (why are wives always right?) I have so much body work and panel replacement to do, I might as well paint it all.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Must be Ruby Red then......That will be a very sweet looking ride!
jpcurro51

Post by jpcurro51 »

Do you know of a source for genuine VW color paint?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »