Potential New 1966 Owner with questions

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
CarsofChaos

Potential New 1966 Owner with questions

Post by CarsofChaos »

Hey all,
Joined the forum because my brother who is a huge VW fanatic has talked me into looking at a 1966 1300 bug. I have a couple of questions on it which I'm hoping can be answered by people with more knowledge on this car than myself.
First of all the car does have it's original engine. The heater channel is rusted (I know this is a common issue). What makes this one interesting is that it's got original Empi wheels, an original Empi roof rack, shaved turn indicators, exterior door inserts, and an Empi louvered hood. My brother says that these Empi options are super rare and make the car quite valuable, but as he has a tendency to over-state things, I thought I'd defer to experts on this car. The car looks to be in good shape, is a project but very solid all around.
Any thoughts on this car and it's options would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Keith! My recommendation would be to look at the inspection tips on the main site and try to make a decision based on that. Speaking from experience, rust can be a lot worse than it looks. I had a 72 super beetle and thought the heater channels were the only problem, until the frame head rotted off.

Having the original engine is great, and somewhat rare...I'd just be sure you know what you're getting into so you are not disappointed later. That being said many beetles have been resurrected!