noise while driving help please!!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

kiser1991

noise while driving help please!!

Post by kiser1991 »

Trying to figure out what's going on with my beetle just got it today and when I am driving it is making a awful noise and jerks. It's coming from one of the rear wheels, it sounds like it's going to fall off. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas that I could check out. I really don't know how to eexplain what it's doing, it's just sounds horrible about 20 mpg and over and shakes. let me know what you all think?
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Put the rear on jack stands and spin the wheels while listening for noise. Try it with and without the trans in gear. Grab the rear wheels and rock it back and forth looking for play.
I'm not recommending it but in the past I have run the engine with the trans in gear while the rear tires are off the ground. If you do decide to try it there are too many cautions for me to list. The one thing I will say is make sure you are using quality US made jack stands and that you have the front tires chocked very well.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

If I had to guess I'd say the splines are starting to let loose in the drum. Either that or one of the brake shoes either came loose or the shoe delaminated.
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Good ideas. I'd start simple. Make sure your wheel bolts are tight.
kiser1991

Post by kiser1991 »

Well finally got my 36 mm socket in and took the axle nut off and from what I can tell it looks in really good shape. So here is what I know now, when I spin the hub in neutral it feels like the transmission is trying to lock up at a certain point. It pretty much feels like it's trying to lock up. Any ideas?
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Binding in neutral? Could it be the opposite brake drum hanging up?

How hard was it to remove the axle nut? If it didn't take a lot of effort, it wasn't on tight enough. An axle nut that isn't torqued to the proper load will damage the hub assembly.
Itskyle

Post by Itskyle »

kiser1991 wrote:Well finally got my 36 mm socket in and took the axle nut off and from what I can tell it looks in really good shape. So here is what I know now, when I spin the hub in neutral it feels like the transmission is trying to lock up at a certain point. It pretty much feels like it's trying to lock up. Any ideas?
If you think it's tranny related, did you check the tranny oil level?

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)