6 volt LED bulbs now available

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Blue Baron

6 volt LED bulbs now available

Post by Blue Baron »

I just got my hands on some new 6 volt LED bulbs that are direct replacements for the standard single and dual filiment bulbs in the taillights, and there's also a 6 volt LED headlight conversion that has a bright white beam, but uses only 0.6 amp, and doesn't draw down the electrical system. The only problem is, you must use an H4 housing for the LED bulb. They're not available in a stock looking sealed beam headlight yet. (But they will work in the European style fluted bulb-and-reflector type.)

I've seen the headlights in action but I don't have them in my car yet. But I do have the bulbs in my taillights, and they're bright and instantaneous. Not glow-on and glow-off like stock 6 volt bulbs. Big safety improvement for the brake lights. But note that these are not a cure for a dead or dying wiring harness. There still must be 5 volts reaching the bulb to trigger the things.

They also are making them for 12 volt, but the 6 volt LEDs are really something. They're not cheap, but should last forever. (Rated at 9,000 hours plus.)
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

I'm interested. Do you have a link of where you bought them?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

They're so new that they're not available retail (so I guess I shouldn't have said now available), but I've gotten my hands on some samples. They're not cheap. 6 volt LED dual filament taillight bulb replacements are $30 a pair, but they'll last forever.

If you want 'em, I can sell you a pair.
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Yes, I'll buy a pair. PM for arrangements.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

PM sent.
dcarlson12

Any update re source for 6 volt tail and brake lights

Post by dcarlson12 »

Any update re source for 6 volt tail, turn signal and brake lights? And what did you have to do about the flasher unit? etc....
Thks,
Dwight
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

There are numerous sources of 6 volt bulbs. Here's a typical one.

My solution to the flasher issue was to use standard bulbs up front, and LEDs on the back. Flasher works as normal.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Also, here's some trick looking ones, and you can get the resistor kit for your flasher relay.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ad%20group

They have both clear and red, as well as single and dual-filament bulbs.
Boaski

Post by Boaski »

I just bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072L ... UTF8&psc=1

All I can say is I sure don't see how they're any brighter than the regular 6 volt bulbs. I'm pretty disappointed.

FYI: I only changed the rear bulbs so the front bulbs have enough resistance to operate the turn signal relay.