Dog of a dash

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

sonofherbie

Dog of a dash

Post by sonofherbie »

:? My black '66 is pretty clean, but its worst feature is without a doubt the dash board. When I bought the car, it was the one thing that made me hesitate. The cracked paint on it is so thick, that when I started sanding it off, I went through at least four different colors. Besides that, it looks like someone took a hammer and crowbar to it around the radio, like they pryed out the old one and hammered in a new one! Total mess. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to be able to return the dash to what would for me be acceptable condition. Does anyone know if a '68 padded dash cover would attach over the metal dash without any major modifications? I love the painted dash look of the '66, but mine is just too much of a mess. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Not sure about whether that would work or not, but you might want to check out bfyobsoleteparts.com or wolfsburgwest.com phone numbers and talk to the guys there - they will be able to tell you for sure and they are always happy to help.

Second thought - a decent body repair guy could probably easily restore the area around your radio since it is just sheet metal. Good luck with whatever path you choose and don't forget to update us and show us some pictures of the finished product!
sonofherbie

Post by sonofherbie »

Thanks, John. I'll try talking with some of them. I wish someone made a sheet metal or fibreglass cap to cover early model dashes without it being Cal-look. I want to retain the radio grill, gas gauge, glove box door and trim, if possible.

Regarding pictures, I took a bunch of pics of my '66 one day; some on a digital camera, some on a 35 mm. The 35 mm pics were crystal-clear and beautiful; the digitals looked like I was having a seizure every time I clicked. :x I don't get these new-fangled things. :oops: I'll have to have my wife or one of my kids snap some with the digital, or scan my 35 mm shots. I'll see who I can convince to do what! :wink:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Great! Looking forward to seeing them.

I thought someone made replacement dash panels but I couldn't find anything for the 66 when I looked earlier. If it were me I'd probably go get a couple quotes on having the dash repaired - it might be cheaper than you think, and then you could have that painted look you like. Good luck!
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

sonofherbie
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT CAN BE FIXED AND THEN SPRAYED!
the cut radio area can be fixed.there are so many cut dashes out there for sale on Samba. Is there any way that you can send me a jpeg of the area ,both the front and also from behind (trunk). do you know how to weld ? its easy to learn. the hard part is pre paring the area,like the wires behind the dash would have to be moved,you would then cut out the area that you want to replace from the donor ,then trace that outline on to your car dash, must be straight then cut out following the traced line,spot weld in,and keep on spot welding unit you are all filled in.grind shape and the believe it or not a very light coat of BONDO TO SMOOTH everything out. If you can borrow the tools i can walk you thru each step of the repair the repair.
Matthew D'Azzo
Volksbugusa
mdazzo@optonline.net
sonofherbie

Post by sonofherbie »

Nope, don't know how to weld. I think I'm going to get a couple of quotes from body shops before I make any final decision. Thanks, Matt.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

sonofherbie
if you can make dabbs with glue then you can spot weld....body shop is going to charge you about $1200.00 +.if you need any more information flip me an email
good luck

cheers
volksbugusa
sonofherbie

Post by sonofherbie »

$1200?!! Matt, that's one of many reasons this Long Islander left Long Island. You would not believe how much cheaper things are in other places. Also, I'm going to check into the auto repair program at the high school where I served as assistant principal for three years. They do a lot of welding there. Thanks.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Good thought! I forgot all about the student programs. The local technical college does the same thing.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Sonofherbie...Ill be in Greensboro NC on Aug. 2-5. I could bring a dash section along if you dont find on till then...it would be no problem to help out a fellow 66 Dubber...just let me know if you would be interested

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
sonofherbie

Post by sonofherbie »

Thanks, Brian. I could probably meet you in Greensboro on 8/4 or 8/5. I very well may still need it by then. How much do you want for it, and what kind of condition is it in?

John
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

sonofherbie,

I have to apologize to you and the forum for the long delay of non communication. Ive been very busy this summer with my "Hunny-do-list" and with the misfortune of (what I had thought at the time) knocking out 3rd gear in my whitewalled rice-burn'r eater '57, after some performance upgrades only to find the next weak link. Thankfully, only the shifter fork had a hair line crack causing the fork to slide on the shift rod and not allowing the gear to fully engage, but still having to completely dissassemble the top end side of motor, carbs, tin and all (Big engine in a lil non cut up engine compartment) and wait'n to be trained on transaxle RnR from a good freind from Pittsburg thats a retired VW mechanic. My trans. parts order from "Rancho Perf." just came yesterday and now waiting to reassemble. So, here I am...

Back to your dash, I still have it available if you still need it! My trip to Greensboro was just canceled yesterday. I could "Greyhound" it to ya. Ive had 4 heater channels with the quarters still attached sent from L.A. for $80!!! In 3 DAYS!!! If you have a local Greyhound Terminal, it should only cost a few bucks.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
sonofherbie

Post by sonofherbie »

Thanks for the info, Brian. I've been swamped myself, and now my '02 NB needs a timing belt, so my '66 hasn't been getting much attention. Here in VA it's illegal to drive a car with antique tags to work, and the state troopers DO enforce it!! Sooo, gotta get the daily driver taken care of first.

Greyhound? Never thought of that. Nearest station is about an hour away, but that would be no different than me driving to Gboro to meet you. When I get back to it, I'll let you know if I need it. But if someone else needs it in the meantime, don't hold it for me.

Thanks again!

John
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

Hi Sonofherbie,

Wolfsburg West also sells a repair panel for the '58-'67 radio opening in the dash.

Part number 111 857 001A

From the illustration in their latest catalog it appears to have a good amount of metal around the opening so you can trim excess to fit.

Good luck. Goofy laws up there in VA about driving with historic tags. What would you do on "Drive your VW to Work" day?

Cheers!
'66 Type I
sonofherbie

Post by sonofherbie »

Hey, SeeBlau!

Pulled out my latest WW catalog, and sure enough, I see what you're talking about. Don't know how I missed that. For 29 bucks, looks like a winner to me! Thanks for the tip!