Early `66

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
h~moto

Early `66

Post by h~moto »

I purchased my `66 Beetle in September of 2012. It is a European model and was originally shipped to Wuerzburg, Germany. The chassis number would indicate that this vehicle was the 423rd 1966 model to come off of the assembly line. It was first titled in the US in April of 1966. The car was taken off the road in 1973. When I purchased the car it had just under 57,000 miles on it. I am now using the car as a daily driver. I ordered a "birth certificate" for the car this year.

I was a bit surprised when I received the certificate from Volkswagen. Because of the early chassis number, I was expecting a "built on" date of August 2nd, 1965. August 2nd was a Monday and is the date given by Volkswagen as the start of the 1966 model year. The certificate gave July 7, 1965 as the date it was built and August 2, 1965 as the day it left the VW factory.

From what I understand, Volkswagen employees were given a three week vacation before the start of a new model year. I had assumed that the factory was set up for the new model year while the factory workers were on vacation. July 7th would have been before production was stopped for vacation. The car is definitely a `66 model - the chassis number starts with 116 and the car has the normal `66 features such as flat hub caps, a middle defroster vent and a 1300 engine.

My guess is that the early build date is because Volkswagen wanted to have a number of cars ready to be loaded and shipped out at the very start of the model year.
Attachments
`66 headed to it's new home.
`66 headed to it's new home.
m66b01.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 10596 times
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Or, it was part of a test to run the 1966 line to work out any kinks. That way they could be worked out during the break. Then upon return, the line would be ready for full production. Just a thought.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I thought the European models didn't have the bumper over-riders? Technically, I guess they were all "European" models, as they were built in Europe, but it was my understanding that models built for export to North America had the 'towel bars' and European 'domestic' models didn't ....??
So ..what's the story here?
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

You are correct. European models came without "towel bars". This Beetle came with factory option M107 which is US style bumpers.

I like to keep my cars stock but I have switched the bumpers to the European style. I gave up on some authenticity in exchange for what I think is a better look.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Or, it was part of a test to run the 1966 line to work out any kinks. That way they could be worked out during the break. Then upon return, the line would be ready for full production. Just a thought.
That very well could be it.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

Great looking car! I'm a bit partial to '66 Beetles. My wife and I took Honeymoon in a brand new '66.

I've been to Würzburg, Germany many times. The last time I was there I was driving a restored '51 VW Sedan.

I've had my cars birth certificate ordered for several months. That must be a very slow process.
Retired 21 years US Army - 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brigade
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

My wife and I took Honeymoon in a brand new '66.
My previous daily driver was my lowlight Ghia. A lady with a strong European accent once approached me and told me that seeing my car brought back fond memories of her honeymoon traveling Europe in a Karmann Ghia. She actually thanked me for having a Karmann Ghia!
I've had my cars birth certificate ordered for several months. That must be a very slow process.
Yes, very slow. Mine took over 6 months to arrive. It has been taking a very long time lately.