engine size

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Mark

engine size

Post by Mark »

Hi,
I bought a '66 last Fall from non-profit organization car lot so I don't have any real history on the car. It has been coverted to 12 volt and the engine feels really strong. Being that the engine has some pep to it, I don't know if it is the original engine or with the 12 volt conversion they swapped out engines. Is there anyway to know if I have a 1300 or 1600?
Thanks,
Mark from Marysville, Washington
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Mark
welcome to the forum.yes you can tell the year.if you look in the following area,you have your alternator that is sitting on its stand,the stand is mounted and attached to the block.you should see a serial number stamped into the block.if you have a 1300 your letter should start with the letter F.

Beetle Engine Numbers for the 1966 Model Year:

F 0000001 through F 1057754

1300 Engine was one year only for the Beetle

email me the serial number.if you are not sure on the voltage you should have a blue box under the speaker in the trunk
read it-----it will say 6volt ---but if the box is black most likely will be 12 volt,or just read the headlight bulb. if you have a generator on your car most likely it will have a small metal box sitting on top of it called a regulator, also the generator looks like a big soda can .
alternator---is not shaped like a soda can...it will have a much larger front then rest of the body...I hope this helps...any other questions just shoot an email to
mdazzo@optonline.net....lets see some pictures of the car and engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matt

Volksbugusa
Last edited by volksbugusa on Mon May 28, 2007 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Mark - Welcome to the Forum! I think Matt covered everything on the engine so you should be in good shape. There are some cars that were put together that were 1300's but did not have an F preceeding the serial number but I think (if memory serves me correctly) we have seen that in Australia where they were shipped in crates and assembled there. They are covered under some other topic threads here in the technical or mechanical forum.