Describe the engline noise please.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

AdelaideBug

Describe the engline noise please.

Post by AdelaideBug »

What way would you describe the idling and driving noise?
I am not too mech savvy so want to listen out for problems.

Also when driving around town etc. is it normal to spend a lot of time in 3rd gear with 4th only on some parts of the motorway?
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

AdelaideBug
hello
if you go to "you-tube" and search volkswagen or beetle you will be able to hear a volks motor
http://www.youtube.com

your speedo should have red shift markings,yes it is common to drive
in 3rd and 4th ...lots more fun in 4th
cheers
matt
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi AdelaideBug:It should sound like a vacuum cleaner! :lol: :lol: I would suggest that you get a valve adjustment if you haven't already - since you probably don't know when it was done last - and then I do them at every oil change - a tight valve will spell real trouble for the engine.

I drive in 3rd gear in town but if I get up to about 40 I shift into fourth (I have the original 1300 engine) but am always careful to not Bog the engine down.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I've been thinking about the unique voice of a VW engine, and John I think you nailed it, A Vacuum Cleaner waiting for something to fly out of it. :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

It sounds like a vacuum cleaner so that is good. There is a little chugging as well but that may be my driving.

In third until 40 mph (rare occasions) so that sounds good as well.

It has the original engine so will need to keep an eye on it.

What are the chances of it being able to drive 2 hours a day? 80km to work and back?

Am I going to have to convince the missus to buy yet another car?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

As long as you keep an eye on the valves and everything else seems fine it shouldn't be a problem for it. I have driven mine 80 miles round trip to work on many occassions. On my last '66 after I had it rebuilt and broken in, I drove 17 hours non stop from Wisconsin to Albany, New York. Ran like a dream.
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

So how do I do a valve adjustment? What's a valve?

AND I AM NOT KIDDING!!! :cry:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I would recommend buying John Muir's Book (The compleat idiot book) you can get it almost anywhere - Amazon has them. It will give you detailed instructions on where they are located, the tools you will need and how to perform the procedure. He even gives an overview on how the engine works - so you will get an overview of what a valve is and how it operates. There are two valves per cylinder (they allow fuel mixture to enter the cylinder (Intake Valve) and combusted gasses to escape (Exhaust Valve)).

Don't feel bad - when I got my first 66 back in '75 I had no idea these needed valve adjustments which is why I'm sure my engine failed on me. After that experience I ran into a great mechanic who rebuilt the engine and then I picked up Muir's book and began doing my own valve adjustments at every oil change.

In the meantime I would find a shop (or if you have a friend that knows the procedure) to do the valve adjustment just to be safe.
Last edited by jmartini on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

Aye ordered that book a few weeks back. Taking a while to get to Oz from Yankee land.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

It will be worth the wait, I think you will love the book.
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

Go the book yesterday and impressed so far.

Not that I understand it but it's the first step I guess.

Best advice in it was 'How to drive' and giving the speeds for gear changes etc. good to have confirmed what I thought. Also good to find out lugging was bad for the engine. I hav been cruising in neutral (almost) down hill...not a good thing apparently