Engine rebuild for 66 bug restoration

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Wayne Stambaugh

Engine rebuild for 66 bug restoration

Post by Wayne Stambaugh »

I have pulled the engine from my 66 bug and plan to rebuild it. The engine is not the original but I will use the the the block as the foundation for the new one It's not my first bug engine rebuild nor first boxer engine rebuild. I don't know if I have a mental defect or what, by I seem to continually be working on a boxer motor, either VW, BMW motorcycle, Lycoming aircraft etc. I love em.

My major question is about engine size and visual accuracy. I want it to look correct when you open the hood. No dual port heads, no aftermarket exhaust, no weber carb. etc. My thought was to install the original size 1300 cylinders which are a 77 mm bore and a 69 mm stroke but I can't seem to find them. Am I foolish for even trying? I also plan to maintain the 6 volt electrical sys. Anyone's input will be appreciated.

Wayne Stambaugh Montgomery, AL :?:[/list]
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Wayne - I would think you could still get the pistons at one of the main parts places listed under the "Links" page on the main site. It really depends on how much of a purist you are (or want to be) with regards to your bug on if it's worth doing. You will certainly feel the difference in pick up with a 1300 - I do, but I don't mind because I have the original engine. I kept mine 6 volt for the same reason. Here's where you will find the bigest difference - the 6 volt system just can't compare to the 12 volt for lighting up the road etc... but that was the way they were.

When my wife road in my 66 at night we only got a few blocks from home and she said "OK Take me home - I'm scared now". She just didn't feel comfortable with the amount of light given off. I don't think it's all that bad but there is a big difference between 6 volt and 12 - just be prepared thats all. Good luck with whatever you decide.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Hi Wayne You can use abig bore kit with 1500 single port heads straight bolt on for the 1300 block.no mods needed just a little more jump in her step and the tin covers everything up so the only one who knows is you and everyone else here now Ha! :lol: Oh the 6volt system can remain,other then dimmer then normal lights,she's still the best elec. out there ,just my opinion tho.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Scruffy! I like the 6 volt set up to. My engine is currently being rebuilt and I had the choice to step the heads up or stay with the 1300 and I chose to stay with the 1300 but you are right - no one would ever know. Interestingly enough, when they tore her down they found one of the heads was cracked and it looked like they knew about it when they (in California) had rebuilt it back in 1990 - :twisted: ). Other than that everthing looked to be ok so once I get the rebuilt heads on and new pistons/rings etc... I'll be back on the road with less concern. Great to see our resident mechanical expert back on line - hope all is well in Minnesota!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Now if we can only speed up our wipers to match all this rain we,re getting,we'd be happy campers! bUT IT IS MEMORIAL DAY weekend!oops; :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

Wayne:
I would go with a 1600 long block with single port heads.this way you can still have the vintage look and some kick to the gas pedal.if you use your current case I am not sure if you still have standard bearing saddles.but if you need a line bore I would start with a new case with case savers installed.in the long run you are better off,larger oil galleries ect,ect,
dual relief. just my 2 cents....
matt
volksbugusa