Restoration choice dilemma

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Restoration choice dilemma

Post by Digger89L »

A year or so back, I picked up my 66 Bahama Blue (painted pink) as a restoration / rebuild project, and have been puttering away at it. A few weeks back, I had the opportunity to acquire a couple of so-called parts cars, both 66's. One of them (red with off-white interior) is pretty much complete, except for bumpers and engine. The interior has some gnarly carpet glued to the door panels and floor, but the original seats are there. Initially, I planned to use parts from it to rebuild the Bahama Blue. But upon closer inspection, the red one has much better 'bones' than the Blue, and would seem to be a better candidate for a complete rebuild. I would really like to have a Bahama Blue when I'm done, so my dilemma is: do I rebuild the Red as a Bahama Blue; rebuild the Blue, in the process destroying the Red; or perhaps continue on with the Blue, and save the Red for a separate project later on? Advice / Comments would be appreciated. (may not be followed ...but would be appreciated!)
Itskyle

wow...

Post by Itskyle »

that sounds like a good dillemma to be in.

Seriously, I guess it comes down to, how easy would it be to get the carpet off from the places where it has been added, and what kind of damage is that the carpet is hiding.

If it doesn't take that much to get the RED one going, get it going, sell it to somebody else who will appreciate it and take care of it, and use proceeds to finish blue. Heck, you may even gain a new friend in the process :-)

If it is that coral red that vw had, I always liked it. I had a squareback about that color.

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Sounds like you got a good deal. I'd look for another donor car and fix the two you currently have. These cars are getting harder to find, especially ones that aren't rotted out. If the metal work is reasonable on both, save them both. If you don't want a second project, flip one of them and use the money to fund the other car. If color is your major concern, paint the one you keep the color you like. Just do it thoroughly so that no one will be able to tell the color change.

I wouldn't worry about the birth certificate (and color). There have been questions raised about their accuracy. Besides, these cars are not selling for 100k. A great restoration would be lucky to see 20k.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Itskyle wrote:If it is that coral red that vw had, I always liked it. I had a squareback about that color.
Coral red wasn't a '66 color.

I believe in keeping the colors as The Creators intended. Plus, unless you're removing every last nut and bolt and painting the body inside and out, a complete color change is tough.

I'd build the Bahama Blue car and save the red car for another project.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I'll post some pics of the "Carpet Queen" ....and you guys can have a good chuckle. Can't imagine some people's thought processes ...!!!!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

It was the '70s. We used to glue shag carpeting to everything.
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

I had a similar situation once when I purchased a '74 bug and to my surprise received a '70 model, with seized motor, thrown in for free. The '74 was very restorable and running but the '70 had bright shiny black floorpans and was very solid. I ended up fixing a few things on the '74, selling it off, and restoring the '70 fully (color was Yukon Yellow).

I too prefer keeping colors original but I can understand the need to change if it's what you really want. A color swap will involve the additional work of painting the inside of the doors, door jambs, thresholds, dash, underneath dash, inside trunk and engine compartments, underneath the hood and decklid, license light housing, don't forget underneath the fenders too if you're not undercoating.
'66 Type I
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Upon closer inspection, my "red" 66 Carpet Queen was orginally white and at some point received a cheap red paint job ...inside and out. Here are the pics I promised a couple of weeks back: wall to wall to ceiling carpet (yes ...headliner too!) Enjoy!
Attachments
Steering wheel and gear shift (welded chain links!!) definitely aftermarket downgrades.
Steering wheel and gear shift (welded chain links!!) definitely aftermarket downgrades.
red one 6.jpg (68.48 KiB) Viewed 7844 times
Rear bumper is there ....engine is not.
Rear bumper is there ....engine is not.
red one 4.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 7844 times
Good shape, but nudged in the front a bit
Good shape, but nudged in the front a bit
red one 3.jpg (70.1 KiB) Viewed 7844 times
Roadbug

Red or Blue?

Post by Roadbug »

Nothing wrong with Pearl Wiess. That carpet is not as bad as it could have been, My vote is do the white one,
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

I have the red (originally white) one advertised but haven't received much interest (other than some from folks who want me to part it out) ...so, storage space not being a real issue, I may just hang onto it and keep it as a 'second' project (hopefully I'll live that long!!!). I'm pretty well committed to doing the 66 Bahama Blue (now pink) first, so will plug away at that one for the next year or two as time permits.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Have you posted it on the Vintage VW Forum on Facebook? There seem to be a lot of cars posted there and they do get attention.
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

Hmm. Not a 'Facebooker' .....perhaps I should step into the 21st century. LOL (my son says that stands for Lame Old Loser ....)