Am I waisting my time?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

PearlW66

Am I waisting my time?

Post by PearlW66 »

Greetings all,
New member here with a question. I have a Pearl White 66 in original paint and "some" of its pigalle interior. At the moment my focus is to fill in some of the missing carpet. I've tried Samba hoping that someone would have kept their OG bits and pieces after a restoration/replacement. No such luck. Zilch ! What I'm looking for to buy are the front kick panel carpet sections with the heater grommets and the strip across the firewall. A little ratty is okay in any color except dark grey or black. I plan on dying red to match my tattered original. I just love my beetle's lived-in originality, dings and tatters included. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Am I off the deep end with this search ???
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Red is a translucent color, and I'm not thinking you can't dye a darker color red with much success.

The '66 was the only year to have the matching red carpets, and you're going to run into trouble trying to find replacements.
Roadbug

Red carpet or floor mats

Post by Roadbug »

I too have the pearl weiss 66 VW with the red interior. For years I've tried to locate the original red floormat to replace my crumbling ones. They are lost to history at this point. Or not if you know a supplier?
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Itskyle

Re: Red carpet or floor mats

Post by Itskyle »

Roadbug wrote:I too have the pearl weiss 66 VW with the red interior. For years I've tried to locate the original red floormat to replace my crumbling ones. They are lost to history at this point. Or not if you know a supplier?
Around here, just finding normal beetle size floor mats can be an adventure.

What I ended up doing was taking some fatigue mat roll leftovers from work, then custom trimming to size. Course, I only had black available to me. They may make it in other colors.

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)