Hello and brake lights :/

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Caltattoo

Hello and brake lights :/

Post by Caltattoo »

How do all.

New to the forum so thought I'd say hello and have a situation I'm hoping someone can help with.

I bought a 66 beetle to refurb. I'm about to put it on the road and have an issue with my brake lights.

Now, when the headlights are off they brake lights work but for some reason when the HL are turned on the brake lights stop working. It's a 12v set up and out new bulbs all round and seemed to be ok... But lost.

Any help would be appreciated!
netsniper

Post by netsniper »

Check out Speedy Jims page and see if you can solve the problem there or contact him http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

First thing to check is that you have a good electrical path. Clean terminals are important. A good electrical ground is needed too. If it still does not work properly, then I would use a volt/ohm meter to check out what is going on. First thing I might try is removing the rear bulbs for the brake/tail lights. With the brake pedal pushed, check the voltage at the contact for the brake light in the bulb socket. Then turn on the headlights and check again for any change.
Caltattoo

Post by Caltattoo »

h~moto wrote:First thing to check is that you have a good electrical path. Clean terminals are important. A good electrical ground is needed too. If it still does not work properly, then I would use a volt/ohm meter to check out what is going on. First thing I might try is removing the rear bulbs for the brake/tail lights. With the brake pedal pushed, check the voltage at the contact for the brake light in the bulb socket. Then turn on the headlights and check again for any change.
Yup all sorted, well.... They're all working on but still HL off the brake lights work, HL on they don't but least they're the same brightness. Could it be something simple as the wrong bulbs? It's a 1300 with a 1600 engine in it, 1600 would be running a 12v system ay?
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

An original 1600 would have been a 12 volt but can be modified to fit a 6 volt vehicle. You could also have an original 1300 engine that the previous owner called a 1600 after he rebuilt it with 1600 pistons/cylinders. Bottom line is you can't tell if a vehicle is 6 or 12 volt from the size of the engine. Look at the components to see if your vehicle is 6 or 12 volt. For a list of items that would have been changed if your vehicle was converted, see the post by empiracer1966 in the following link:

http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=868

I believe that 1154 would be the bulb # for 6 volt and 1157 would be for 12 volt. In either case, it should be a dual element bulb and have two contacts on the base.

Do the brake lights work when the light switch is pulled out to the first stop? I would pull out the bulbs and do the check. If you don't own a volt/ohm meter, a continuity tester would still be helpful.
Caltattoo

Post by Caltattoo »

Thanks for that.

Yea I'm a little unsure I might be best to have a day and take the engine down to tell or see if my mechanic can let me know.

As for the stops on the pull bit they do not no, neither on the 2nd. What does each stop do. 1st time owner and still trying to figure out everything.
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

If your not sure if you have a 6 or 12 volt system, check the battery under the rear seat. If it has three fill caps, it is 6 volt. If it has 6 fill caps, it is 12 volt.

An owners manual would be a benefit to you. You can download one for free at TheSamba.com:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... g65bug.php
There is a link at the bottom of the page for downloading.
I'm assuming you do not have a European model Beetle. If your car does not have emergency flashers, let me know and I can give you the link to the owners manual for a European model Beetle.

The first stop of the light switch turns on the tail lights and parking lights. The second stop turns on the headlights and tail lights.