Plasic battery box source.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

dcarlson12

Plasic battery box source.

Post by dcarlson12 »

I would like to place my 6 volt battery in a plastic 'battery box' similar to a marine and RV battery boxes, to try to avoid the dreaded rot in the floor where the battery is situated.
I 'googled' but did not find any, and other places such as Walmart have some but they are all too large. I even looked for just a Tupperware style plastic container, again with no luck.
Has anyone here run across a source for such a box?
Thks,
Dwight
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

My 6 volt battery is 9 inches long, 7 inches wide, and about 8 and 3/4 inches tall (top of battery posts).

There's a place called Batterymart.com that sells a battery box that is 10.5"L 7"W 9.75"H. Not sure if their height number includes the box top ...but it sounds like something like that would fit. And only $10 !!

Another option would be to build a custom fit box out of fibreglas material. I've seen that done quite successfully. Just make a corrugated cardboard box the same approx. size (a bit bigger) as your battery, and use that as a form to put the fibreglas on.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

is another option a jel cel so there is no dredded acid to damage anything?
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

darzoom wrote:is another option a jel cel so there is no dredded acid to damage anything?
That's what I did and couldn't be happier. A 6 volt red top from Optima. Cranks well and will not leak. It sits on its side under the rear seat. Shop around for the best price. Here's a good deal on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries- ... B00E16LTTK
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I agree on the Optima. I have them in three 6-volt Beetles, and the first one I bought still cranks strong almost a decade later.
dcarlson12

Post by dcarlson12 »

Wish I had been informed/known about the Optima gel cell battery sooner. I just bought a new conventional battery so will probably do as one poster suggested. i.e. make my own 'tray' from fibreglass which I have left over from another project.
Thks for all the replies,
Dwight