Larry and Linda Ho's 1966 Beetle

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
jmartini
Administrator

Larry and Linda Ho's 1966 Beetle

Post by jmartini »

Larry and Linda Ho, 1966vwbeetle.com members from Vietnam were recently honored by having their 1966 Beetle as the featured Car on the Superbeetle.com Website.
The Ho's 1966 VW Beetle was the feature car this last February. Larry and Linda refer to their 1966 as their "Pride and Joy" and when you look at the pictures below it is easy to see why. This is one beautiful example of a 1966 Beetle. From the two tone exterior to the beautiful interior - it's easy to see why this car received such an honor. Congratulations to Larry and Linda! Now here are the pictures so everyone can enjoy!
Attachments
LarryandLinda6.jpg
LarryandLinda6.jpg (57.75 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
LarryandLinda5.jpg
LarryandLinda5.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
LarryandLinda4.jpg
LarryandLinda4.jpg (65.33 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
LarryandLinda3.jpg
LarryandLinda3.jpg (64.76 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
LarryandLinda2.jpg
LarryandLinda2.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
LarryandLinda1.jpg
LarryandLinda1.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
seabluebug

Post by seabluebug »

Very Nice Indeed!
1966 - Nothing beats the vintage look!
larryho

Post by larryho »

Thank you. Our Pride and Joy gives us so much happiness and we made lots of friends from both local and overseas. If only we could all have a gathering of our 1966 VW Beetles. That would be fun and if the cars could talk. wonder what will they say.
Ours will say :- Thanks John for putting on a website so that my godchildren (that's us) can go to to discuss my problems. Oh they even show my pictures to all without asking my permission ! If only I knew I would insist they dress me up a bit more. Luckily they did gave me a wash. :lol:
bluebug

Post by bluebug »

She's beautiful alright!
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

the 66 has my vote!!!! is that blue fabric material behind the fan shroud?
That could be sucking into the fan area!!

cheers
larryho

Post by larryho »

Thanks Matt. The blue fabric has since been discarded and we have now installed a set of firewall. Certainly looks much better.
I am now looking at all the engine tin parts and seal and to replaced if necessary- to avoid overheating problems.
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

LarryHo
Very glad to read that you removed the cloth material. Yes it is very important that the engine compartment is complete with all the proper tin as well as the proper seals.If you every need parts always check out SAMBA.COM for all your needs and only purchase original german parts.This SAMBA site has so much information.
So if the tins have a little surface rust you can clean them up and spray them with a satin black finish.The other point that i wanted to bring out is
keeping the valves adjusted and the timing MUST be set at the correct specs to also aid in keeping the motor cooler.You would not belive how much heat is created if the timing is not set .In fact the heat will distort a valve adjustment very quickly.I am not sure if you work on your vw .
If you have not I can guide you in the correct direction for the information that you need to learn these task.Not sure if your fuel filter is inside the engine compartment.This could cause an engine fire.This should be installed under the engine and please what ever you do get rid of the plastic type and go with a metal housing filter.Any metal filter will work as long as the direction of flow is correct and it will fit tight onto the braided hose.In fact the filter should also have a high rib on each end so that the clamp has something to grip on to...

Cheers
BE A GOOD VW BUDDY
Volksbugusa
Matt
larryho

Post by larryho »

You really given me a handful for which I am grateful.
I still feel that the engine is on the hot side in spite of whats been done. The timing has been adjusted, seals, tin parts checked but the dip stick is still very old to the touch after running. I must also mention that the blue coil is also hot although better than before.
I will soon discard the plastic fuel filter and install a metal piece. Where do you recommend this should be. Where under the engine should be most appropriate.
Appreciate all the advice. All of us are benefiting from this. I am in the process of being a good VW buddy.
Cal.Duke

Post by Cal.Duke »

Wow Beatuiful Yes, Looking at the pictures I see that it has an Air Conditioner, a real air conditioner, not one of those Thermador side mounts. I have never seen that nor did I know it was possible. And is the engine an origal 1300cc? How difficult is the process, here in Albuquerque it is extremely hot in the summer. Sweet ride :salut:
larryho

Post by larryho »

I have not done a post in the forum for quite sometime as work has been extremely busy and my other project is giving me a handful.
Yes the car has an original 1300 cc engine and has an airconditioning unit. This came with the car when I puchased it which I subsequently upgraded to its present state but I hardly use it. The weather here in Saigon can also be very hot but we are seldom in the car for too long a period except when we go upcountry.
In our next restoration we are thinking of dismantling the aircond unit. :o :shock: :?
I am wondering if its possible to do up the car to as original as possible including finding the rare helphos spare tire complete accessory for the windshield wiper function. Linda is responsible for finding the OG parts and I am responsible for finding the dongs (Vietnam currency)
Let's see how it goes. Good to be back :D
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Wow! That's really unusual looking, but desirably unusual! It has a very nice Asian flair to the customizing. Thanks for posting pictures!