Help needed!

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
vdubber9411

Help needed!

Post by vdubber9411 »

First of all thanks for having me! This is my first post having found you because I've just been given, yep GIVEN a 66 bug. I know I'm very lucky, but the guy (my best pal) owes me, I gave him an immaculate 88 VW Scirocco for very little money! I've known this 66 beetle since 1997, having searched for and bought it with my pal. Its been in a garage for the past 10 years with me trying to persuade my best buddy to sell it to me! In the mean time the key to the garage is lost!!!!

I've had Beetles and Type 2's for years having had quite a few and yeah no problem I'll post photos later (My last 73 bug even appeared on a UK TV series, Life on Mars). This particular post is to put the feelers out on what I should do next? The bug went into the garage 10 years ago with a minor engine issue, although it had just been renovated. Now the body needs some love! Main concern for me is the gutters, rain channels, what ever you like to call them! They're bad, rotten, UK weather has taken its toll, I'll post photos if needed. My pal says I should get them ripped off and go Cal Look. I'm more traditional and like to keep the old bugs as stock as possible. What are your views? Should I de-seem or should I get the channels replaced? I'm not a welder and will be getting the work carried out by a VW restorer, what is the view stock or not. If I de-seem I'd be tempted then to change to 12v, 1641 lump, twin carbs an lowered. I'd personally prefer stock 1300, 6v, standard ride height, but what's going to be more costly? Pics to follow!

Cheers again
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

The body work is going to have to be done and will cost either way (classic or cal look) you decide to go. I say fix the body to stock. The problem is that the rain gutters are the joining part for the side panel and the roof. They are very hard for a novice to fix.

A better choice is a total roof replacement by cutting the pilars and adding a whole new (donar) roof section. That may sound like a lot, but it would be actually easier that de-seaming adding metal and re-seaming the side panel and the roof panel. The folllowing site has a roof section for £199 for the whole thing. Check them out.

http://www.partsemporium.co.uk/type%201 ... rts%20.htm

The window glass was the same from 65 - 71 so all the rest should be the same. This would be the easiest soloution for rusty gutters and the least amout of work. If you plan to do this be sure to add temporary braces across the doors to keep the body/pan from flexing together.

I am sure others have ideas on a course of action as well. Good luck and have fun......Cheers!
vdubber9411

Post by vdubber9411 »

Great stuff! I agree stock is the way forward! No way will I be doing myself! It'll be a guy I've used for various VW restos! I'll keep her stock, L456 Ruby Red, L87 pearl white sides and wheels. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.