Door reassembly frustrations

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

obfuscurity

Door reassembly frustrations

Post by obfuscurity »

I had to repair my driver's side vent wing window, so I took the opportunity to replace all the scrapers, felt and weatherstripping in the door. I'm having similar difficulties to those in this thread. Specifically, I can't seem to get the window regulator and vent wing post installed without blocking the other one.

My first attempt was with the vent window fully installed. Obviously this was a mistake because you can't fit the "upper loop" of the regulator in the correct spot with the vent wing post in place.

Next, I tried with the regulator partially mounted (just the 2 bolts fastened near the crank). This didn't work either, as the post mounting bracket hits the first cross-brace(?) piece of metal near the window opening.

Third, I tried a hybrid approach with the vent wing post inserted but the frame leaning back (away from the front of the car) so as to give the regulator "upper loop" enough space to fit into place. Once fastened, the vent wing frame would not pivot into place; the vent wing window "hinge bracket" (underneath frame) hits the second cross-brace(?) piece of metal nearest the front corner of the window.

Here's an annotated photo to hopefully take the guesswork out of my descriptions.

I'd really appreciate any guidance you could offer. Repairing this window has been a long, drawn-out process. I feel like I'm really close to finishing this and moving on to the next big project but this particular task is sucking the life out of me.
obfuscurity

Post by obfuscurity »

Ok, I got this mostly figured out now. The "upper loop" is supposed to fit inside the upper-inside part of the door lip. Once I got that in there everything went in easy.
Itskyle

Post by Itskyle »

obfuscurity wrote:Ok, I got this mostly figured out now. The "upper loop" is supposed to fit inside the upper-inside part of the door lip. Once I got that in there everything went in easy.
This. It takes some doing, but totally worth it.

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
1966veedub

Post by 1966veedub »

Reviving an old thread, but can you clarify
obfuscurity wrote:The "upper loop" is supposed to fit inside the upper-inside part of the door lip.
?? Thanks
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Have been off a while. I was going to advise the lift mechanism must go in first. But, you got there before I got here. Great news. I hope you still have some hair.

BTW I have an extra set of vent windows (disassembled) that I would let go of if anyone needs the divider bar or window frame to send out to chrome. I bought an extra set to do just that. It cost me $200 for chrome the dividers polish the stainless frames and the outside gutters. Using tinning rivets (from the hardware store) to reassembly is a piece of cake.