Old classic RADIO

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

larryho

Old classic RADIO

Post by larryho »

I am looking to purchase an old radio for my 1966 beetle. Preferably in the 60s from Blunkunpt. We had one before and my daughter traded this in for a more modern stereo system. Now looking for one to add to the vintage pack. Saw one in my friends car. It comes with an original VW knob. The sound is not that great but for someone like me its acceptable. I prefer old vintage items.
Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Larry
Saigon, Vietnam
seabluebug

Post by seabluebug »

Hi Larry: There is a huge classified section at www.thesamba.com - with any luck you can find it there - I have purchased many things from the samba and ebay with good results. Good luck on finding the radio!
1966 - Nothing beats the vintage look!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Yes, I agree - that is the largest classified section that I know of and I have purchased two radio's from people, one via eBay and the other via the samba. Keep your eyes open on both spots and I'm sure you will find something...just be patient! Good luck!
larryho

Post by larryho »

Thanks. Will certainly go to the website recommended, but should any kind fellows come across a good one with reasonable price do let me know. Most grateful. Have a nice weekend. :D
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

i have an original am radio id be willing to sell, if i ever find that dreadfully hard to find am/fm radio for a reasonable price
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

leave as is...stuffed my new tune box in the glove compartment. Not sure if you converted your system to 12 v
Cheers
Matt
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

thats a good idea, but i like the look of the original am/fms better then my original am, but if i dont find one, ill do something like that
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I have the orignal Sapphire III radio (6 volt) in the beetle. Boy it is a culture shock when I get into my '05 New Beetle and have XM Satellite radio! Back in the mid-70's you could find everything you wanted on AM radio - now it's pretty much a barren wasteland with a few talk radio shows and a few oldies (50's music) channels.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

Yeah, am is empty :( ohwell, ill figure out how to use an mp3 with it
A volksie thanks,
Max
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

I just found a 60's radio am/fm, not bluapunkt, but it uses the same faceplate(i think) only 15$, score!!!
A volksie thanks,
Max
larryho

Post by larryho »

Thanks fellows. Bought an original Sapphire 3 from Samba without knobs. Will try to find the knobs and its finally settled. :)
bill hauck

old claisic radio

Post by bill hauck »

I am also looking for a "reasonably priced" 12v radio for my 66. I don't care if it is AM or FM.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Bill: You might want to try www.thesamba.com and go to their classified section - you will probably find one there for sure.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Absolutely loads on uk ebay

http:// www.ebay.co.uk

Some go for more than others 8)

Alex.
larryho

Post by larryho »

Thanks fellows I have since found mine at Samba. a Sapphire 3.