Help with colour code for 1966 resto

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
Saffer66

Help with colour code for 1966 resto

Post by Saffer66 »

I inherited a 1966 beetle and am about to start a resto. Unfortunately the chassis plate is missing (rusted away). The car was assembled in South Africa at the Uitenhage VW plant.

The car is (and has always been) a dove grey with red/white leatherette interior. My problem is as follows. I cannot find this colour in the standard ranges for 1965/66. Its definitely neither L360 (Sea Blue - this is too blue) nor is it L595 (Fontana Grey - this is too light and not blue enough).

The closest I have been able to get is L31 (Pigeon Blue) (see http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay ... en&smodel=) but this is not registered anywhere for 1966 year models.

As the car was manufactured in Germany, then shipped to and assembled in South Africa, shipped to Walvis Bay in South West Africa (now Namibia) and bought there in 1966 it might be an older model, only registered in 1966.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nicholas
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Saffer66

Post by Saffer66 »

Hi, thanks, yes I have, My problem is that the colour of my bug doesn't fit any of those listed including Sea Blue, Fontana Grey, VW Blue or Zenith Blue. The combination with red and white leatherette also is a problem.
Saffer66

Post by Saffer66 »

Could it be that there were different colour sets for exports from Germany to South Africa?
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Saffer66 wrote:Could it be that there were different colour sets for exports from Germany to South Africa?
I think you maybe on to something, but are you sure the car has not been repainted?

The only way to know for sure is to get the birth certificate from Germany.

http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=41
Saffer66

Post by Saffer66 »

Thanks, thats great advice!