My new/old 66'

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
luteguy

My new/old 66'

Post by luteguy »

Hi all. Greetings from Salt Lake City. I just bought a 66' Beetle last week and I am excited about it. I had a 72' as a teen 20 years ago. This 66' I got for $2300 and it included a bunch of extra parts including a set of bumpers and an extra 66' decklid. Apparently a previous owner had this car painted in Tijuana and the paint washed off in a car wash. I would like to have it painted in the original color. How do I determine the original color? I think it might have been white. My first step is to get new tires as these are probably about 15 years old.
Also, can anyone help me find a good VW shop in SLC? I know there is a good one in Orem (about 30 miles south)
Thanks!
Sterling
Attachments
bug662.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
hercdriver

Re: My new/old 66'

Post by hercdriver »

luteguy wrote: How do I determine the original color? I think it might have been white.
Sterling,

Most people who change the color of the car, don't take the time to change the color inside. If your dash is white, it was likely a white car originally. Having said that if you want to know for sure, you'll have to request a birth certificate from Wolfsburg in Germany.

Dave
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

luteguy wrote: My first step is to get new tires as these are probably about 15 years old.
I bought new tires this past spring. I went with Nankang 165/80R15 tires. They were readily available and fairly inexpensive. They ride very well and look almost stock. The only downside I have found, is that the only way to get them into the spare tire well is to release some air pressure.

On a side note the local shop that installed the tires did not have a machine that could balance the older 5 lug rims. There is a long discussion about this at TheSamba, but in short it's a common issue with modern garages. My tires feel fine at all speeds, so I've left them alone. If it becomes a problem and you can't find anyone to balance them, some people have used steel shot to balance them. Apparently motorcycles have been doing this with success. Here's a link to one of the vendors...
http://www.alliedmotorsports.us/id57.html
luteguy

Dash

Post by luteguy »

The paint on the dash is not original. I think the paint behind the spare wheel is original. How do I go about getting a birth certificate from Wolfsburg?
Sterling
luteguy

BC

Post by luteguy »

Nevermind---I just saw the post and link on how to get a BC. I am totally going to get one!
--Sterling
Digger89L

Post by Digger89L »

By chance, you didn't notice a paper sticker behind the spare as well, perhaps below and to the right of the serial # plate? That sticker would have the original paint code on it. Its a long shot, but sometimes those stickers survive!!
Itskyle

Post by Itskyle »

luteguy wrote:Hi all. Greetings from Salt Lake City. I just bought a 66' Beetle last week and I am excited about it. I had a 72' as a teen 20 years ago. This 66' I got for $2300 and it included a bunch of extra parts including a set of bumpers and an extra 66' decklid. Apparently a previous owner had this car painted in Tijuana and the paint washed off in a car wash. I would like to have it painted in the original color. How do I determine the original color? I think it might have been white. My first step is to get new tires as these are probably about 15 years old.
Also, can anyone help me find a good VW shop in SLC? I know there is a good one in Orem (about 30 miles south)
Thanks!
Sterling
Original paint color? Best place to look would be in the engine compartment.

Get some degreaser and check it out.

And, enjoy!

Kyle
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)