About my ride...

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Itskyle

About my ride...

Post by Itskyle »

We call it Herbie.

I used to have a black 1974 superbeetle.

After our Prius blew up on the interstate, we ended up needing a secondary car.

Months were spent looking for a replacement Prius in our price range. which couldn't be found. We did test drive (read: rent) a newer model for a couple of days, but couldn't justify a new car payment.

About a month went by looking for diesel VW NewB Beetles in our price range (there weren't any with a reasonable amount of miles on them.) We did test drive some gas NewB beetles, but it just didn't "feel the same" to me as a regular beetle.

So, went looking for air cooled VWs.

The 66 was one of three we looked at. It was the oldest, but we did test drive it.

We test drove the others (73 Superbeetle, 74 superbeetle with autostick.)

The 73 was victimized by a former deer hunter. Then picked up by people who think car paint is too expensive, so regular paint that goes on interior walls would be the way to go :roll:

The 74 was in Brownsburg, and an autostick to boot. I expected a lot from that one, perhaps because of my first one. But, while the car *may* have been OK I got a shifty feeling from the people trying to sell it to me (they changed the price on it on our way over to look at it), we walked away from that one.

We went back to the 66, and picked it up. Still have the extra parts and tow bar it came with.

It now has a new Maaco paint job (hey, don't laugh-I'm doing this as I go.)

New Brakes.

New wheel bearing.

New voltage regulator.

New battery.

New coil.

I only have 2 regrets so far-not talking down the Previous Owner a little bit more, and also taking it somewhere to do the brakes. I won't ever make that mistake again.

Kyle
66 Bug
--
66 Bug current (Wife likes better than the Prius)
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (Miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Cool Kyle! I'd like to see the current picture, Maaco does a lot of different paint jobs depending on the budget so I'm thinking it probably looks pretty nice.

I remember my first 66, I bought it off a lot in Madison in 1975 and never talked to the Previous owner and knew nothing about beetles. As an 18 year old living on my own I put every available dollar into it over the course of a year before I had it where I needed it to be, and that car was only 9 years old then :) After 40+ years things will certainly need some love and care!

Take Care Kyle! John