speedometer rebuild

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

dkdjad

speedometer rebuild

Post by dkdjad »

I am in the process of restoring my 66 bug. I want to replace the chrome retaining ring that secures the glass to the speedometer. I pried the old one off. The rubber gasket surrounding the glass came out in three pieces. I now can not figure out what order it all :( goes back in. No combination seems to be enough to, once again secure it to the body of the speedo. Was that once one piece?? There doesn't seem to be a replacement gasket available anywhere. Any one had, and solved this before? Please share!
pwmcguire

Post by pwmcguire »

The glass should sit inside the stepped rubber, the rubber sits against the chrome trim ring, the bezel should angle away from the glass to the face of the speedometer. Is it the correct chrome trim. Is there an extra piece of rubber from the new trim.
dkdjad

found the answer

Post by dkdjad »

There are three seperate rubber rings that surround the glass to hold it in place within the chrome ring. I figured out the correct order and placement. To secure the trim ring to the speedometer body, the edge of the ring has to be bent over the raised lip of the body. Looking at the original one, I think VW had a die made for just this purpose. I used small tack hammer to very carefully bend the trim ring edge into place. I now have a new looking, 47 year old speedometer! :D
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Good to hear you got it back together.

VW didn't make anything. The speedometers were produced by outside supplier VDO.