Common mechanical problems?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Ellen

Common mechanical problems?

Post by Ellen »

Hello!

I'm a novelist in need of some expert mechanical advice! One of the characters in my new book (set in 1969) is going to own a 1966 VW Beetle. She's going to be driving through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan -- conservative Ford country! -- and I need for her car to break down, and to break down sufficiently so that she'll be stranded there for a couple of weeks. There will be one (slightly inept) mechanic in the town where she's stranded, and he needs to be somewhat -- but not totally -- confounded by whatever problem the car has, so that he can continually assure her that he has it under control (perhaps having ordered this part or that part) and that he'll have it fixed any minute -- so she'll hold out hope and not hop on the next passing bus.

My question for you folks, if you would be so kind as to help me, is: can you suggest what might go wrong with the car to enable this situation to play out? Perhaps something that often went wrong on the 1966 Beetle? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Ellen
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Well that's a hard one because by and large they were very dependable - although the 1966 model was a 6 volt system and every once in a while if you had a problem with the charging (electrical) system it could be a bugger to diagnose and fix. It could be the generator, the generator brushes, the alternator, or a short in the wiring harness going up to the front of the car, or as simple as a loose fan belt. Not sure it would take a couple weeks to fix but I had an issue like this once and it took a week for the Mechanics to track the problem down - they couldn't afford to work on it all the time they just kept trouble shooting as time permitted.

I'm sure others will let you know what they think would be other options.....good luck.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

A carburetor that keeps dumping gas into the crankcase even after she's shut off. Causes plugged heat risers on intake causeing carb to frost over! Incorect shims under needle valve in carb. happened to me.Plugged heat riser is labor intensive You have to try disolve or snake a wire through it or [burn it out] which is quicker but could also leave you looking for a new one.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
Ellen

Thanks!

Post by Ellen »

Thanks so much for these ideas. I appreciate the help!
Ellen
markostephano

Post by markostephano »

Hi Ellen!

If you are still considering scenarios, since VWs are not that vexing of their own volition, as John has put forth, how about this:

What if "our" driver accidently lost a very precious, or at least sentimental item in the car- say a ring- which just happened to be slung from her finger as she was frantically swatting at a bee, or some other annoyance; and as luck would have it, the now airborne ring found its way into the defroster slot beneath the front windshield! This gives your character an great motivation to stick close to her Bug, and the exact location of the ring could take some time to find?!

This is partially based on a real incident in my distant past. Hope it helps, and Good Luck with the novel!
All Rights Reserved. All Wrongs Reversed.
Ellen

Thanks!

Post by Ellen »

Thanks for the great idea! I hope you found the ring in your real-life scenario? As it happens, I decided a couple of days ago to change things up in my novel and get rid of this character (and the VW Bug) entirely. (It's a long and sordid story as to why...) I do appreciate everyone's help, though -- thanks so much!
Best wishes,
Ellen
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

BUMMER :(
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
markostephano

Post by markostephano »

Another close brush with fame for the venerable VW Beetle! :roll:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

but I thought everyone had a VW story! :cry:
markostephano

Post by markostephano »

Well John, that was the one that got away- The Bug That Never Was!
Kinda sad.
:cry:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I know...and I would have bought the book too! :cry: