Tire changer adapter

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Digger89L

Tire changer adapter

Post by Digger89L »

My 66 project beetle, for some reason, had pre-66 style wheels on it. I managed to round up 4 "correct" wheels for the 66, but they had no tires or tires were old and gnarly and leaky. I wanted to remove them, and swap the good tires from the "old" rims to the "new" ones, but didn't want to pay a tire shop to do it because I just plan to use the old tires temporarily. I've had one of those "portable" tire changers for quite a while now (Harbour Freight in the USA ..about $50 ...or about $80 at Princess Auto in Canada) but it is not designed for old VW rims: the center support plate is too small. So, with a couple of 11.5 inch circles of plywood, some glue, a drill, five carriage bolts, ten nuts and five washers, I built the adapter plate shown in the photos below. After changing the good tires from the old rims to the newer ones, I found that it works really slick, but I could have gotten away with only about 3 bolts, rather than 5. Now, I'm looking for some large wing-nuts to use, or may make some by welding half washers onto the nuts. I also have one of those portable wheel balancers from Harbour Freight / Princess Auto ....they work fine as well. It only takes the changing of about 4 tires to make this equipment pay for itself!!
Attachments
Adapter plate with the carriage bolts pushed thru from the bottom and held in place with a top nut. The washers go on the bolts once the wheel is on the adapter as the lug bolt holes are bit too large for the nuts I used. The underlying plate for "no
Adapter plate with the carriage bolts pushed thru from the bottom and held in place with a top nut. The washers go on the bolts once the wheel is on the adapter as the lug bolt holes are bit too large for the nuts I used. The underlying plate for "no
wheel adapter 3.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Setting up to mark the hole positions on the adapter plate. (The garden hose is not part of the project!!)
Setting up to mark the hole positions on the adapter plate. (The garden hose is not part of the project!!)
wheel adapter 2.jpg (54.56 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
test fitting the adapter onto the tire changer
test fitting the adapter onto the tire changer
wheel adapter 1.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

That's pretty slick.

I had a machinist friend make the same tool out of aluminum.
larryho

Post by larryho »

We too have problems with trying to balance our wheels until I found Corey and he has on sale one made from Aluminum. He has this advertised in Samba #373915.
There is another made from steel advertised by Rob in Samba #1476281.
Check them out.