My original paint pearl white '66 sunroof

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Jays58

My original paint pearl white '66 sunroof

Post by Jays58 »

I bought this original paint '66 sunroof from my brother in law and have made quite a few changes since. It came with a 6" narrowed beam, gas burner wheels, a wood steering wheel, wood door handles and window cranks, red vinyl painted running board mats, a red pinstripe sticker under the chrome trim, and a few other things. I've got most of it back to original with the exception of being lowered, the Rader wheels, and the taller 4th gear in the rebuilt trans. It has most of the original interior but I'm getting ready to redo it cause it has seen better days. It is ALL original paint and exterior parts and it's going to stay that way. I want to do the interior as close to factory as possible but I've run into a snag on the floor mats. I know of a NOS '65-'67 front mat, but it's gray. Do you guys know of a way to dye it? Here are some pics of how I've got it looking now....

This is a factory rebuilt single port 1600, I wonder if the original owner had the 1300 replaced by this? There are 2 factory tags on it, one below the distributor, and one on top of the case behind the fan shroud on the oil cooler side.

Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

That's like mine except for the Sunroof. Mine also has been rebuilt into a single-port 1600.