Advice needed: to buy this 1300 engine or not.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

rcs_80

Advice needed: to buy this 1300 engine or not.

Post by rcs_80 »

Im looking for a engine for my 66. I don't know much about VW engine rebuilding so I need advice if this engine is worth purchasing or not. The seller says its a 1300. He also said it has a seized piston. Do you think its worth the attempt to get it rebuild or not? Like I said I don't know much about these engines so any little input would be appriciated thanks!
h~moto

Post by h~moto »

Much of the decision would depend on how much the seller is asking for the engine. Are you just trying to get an engine to rebuild or are you trying to restore the car to as close to original as possible? If the engine is a 1300, the engine number should begin with the letter F. I don't have much experience rebuilding engines so maybe someone else can give better guidance.
rcs_80

Post by rcs_80 »

Thanks for the reply. The seller was asking for a fair price. Come to find out, after looking up the engine numbers, it is a 1200/65 engine.
To answer your question I'm trying to keep my 66 as correct as possible.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Then it's the wrong engine. Don't buy it!