bug stutters and lacks power

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

MoBugMan

bug stutters and lacks power

Post by MoBugMan »

had this problem for a couple of months-in the cold, she would start hard and then when i would put her into second gear, she would lurch and sputter almost like she was going to fall apart until I almost shifted to third.
After the winter. i took apart the carb and found I had lost the throttle nozzle....guess where? I assumed it had fallen down the intake manifold and got chewed up. I also assumed that having the fuel not mixing right was causing the lurching. ( My local bug guy says that the brass nozzle should not have hurt my cylinders. {???})
After a complete carb rebuild, adjusting my valves, timing, new plugs, adjusting my points, new plug wires, drilling out my heat riser tubes {!!!!}and an oil change she sounds great when i start her up, but when I put her under a load, she still sputters and does not have a lot of power. She won't stall, but she lurches and stutters almost like she's missing.
Help! not sure what to check next.