its destiny

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
snicrep

its destiny

Post by snicrep »

I purcased my 66 from a college professor. It was stock 6v, 1300. Had sufferred an eng fire and had a rebuild. Ran like a top. 66 tx lic plates. I got a 68 van and a 71 squareback a few years later. I needed $ so I had to pick one from the stable to liquidate. I liked them all. The van was practical. The t-3 the most unusual so I sold the beetle which was the best running. Fast forward 6 years. I received a letter from a neighboring county stating that a car registered in my name was seized trafficing drugs north from our border area. At first I was worried that I would be held suspect in some way. I called the courthouse ready to defend myself, but it turned out that it had been impounded in a junk yard for a year and a half, and if i wanted it i should contact the junkyard owner.
He stated that he charged 15 bucks a day but he would let me have it for 500.Ity was way back in the weeds in fact cactus had grown up through the back bumper and it had to be hacked out. I towed it home and got to work. the fuel system had to be cleaned out but i got it started! the people that had it never changed the title. it was converted to 12 volt, but unfortunatly the engine had been changed to a 1600. Its also alot rustier. I hope to find a 1300 to put back in but Ill stick with the 12v system. Its currently awaiting restoration, but since this car came back to me I think Ill keep it this time (its also the year of my wifes birth)

g. perkins
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Snicrep and welcome to the forum!

It must be fate! How cool is that?! Good luck with the restoration - I bet you can't wait to get it back to the old glory days condition! Make sure you keep us up to date on your progress! I'd say 500 was a bargain!
seabluebug

Post by seabluebug »

Great story - I'd spend a lot more than that to get my first bug back!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

I'm with John - it must be fate!
PS. Welcome to the Forum - I hope you will post pictures as you do your work on the bug!
Phil
San Antonio