want to fix that bad paint spot or chip

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

volksbugusa

want to fix that bad paint spot or chip

Post by volksbugusa »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am into the patina look of a beetle.some folks are not.don't get me wrong
I like patina but not a rust bucket.Anyway I am sure some of us from time to time have run into a bad paint spot on our bug and wished it was never there,
to fix it or make the problem a little less offensive.
go to your hobby store and purchase a good air brush with inline filter.
you will need a compressor that will handle 40-50 lbs----
you will need 400 grit wet sandpaper
you will need wax remover...VERY VERY IMPORTANT
you will need to go to a auto body supply shop with your car so that they can use the color match gun on your finish.
they will mix you up a quart of single stage paint.also will give you reducer,and the hardener...its easy to mix...most are 8 parts color,2 parts reducer,one part hardener..this might change a little depending on the manufacture.pot life is four hours. means the mix is good for four hours..a little paint goes a long way.
PLEASE WEAR A GOOD MASK..NO NOT PAPER!! A RESPIRATOR MASK
if you have clear coat then the base goes on first followed by the clear.

wet sand the spot with the 400 grit sand paper and the wax remover together.I don't like using water !!once the repaired spot is smooth and free from high and lows.pour some paint into your air brush and test and adjust on a sample board..once you feel comfortable,,then go to the repaired spot and fill in....less is better,let the paint dry a little (flash) in about 5 minutes hit it again with more paint..you should be done!!!
the most important thing to remember...remove the wax....if you don't
you will have little eyes looking at you...any questions just ask.
you might have to color sand with 1500 grit with water..if you do go easy
followed buy buffing compound to now bring the shine back that you just dulled--:)this has to be a pretty big repair to get involved with this..which also means the use for some primers...don't really want to go there...this is for simple dings or very small problems..
now that you can use an air brush..you just opened up a whole new world of refinishing your car parts...

Matthew D'Azzo
Volksbugusa
Last edited by volksbugusa on Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Thanks Matt - sounds like a good process for getting rid of those little road dings - I'm going to bring my bug right over for a touch up! :lol:
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Damn i've got an airbrush never thought about using it for that or even using it :lol: You think of airbrush you think of very thin paint and 5# air, Thanks Matt! Happy New Year!
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife