clutch problems

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Jonwaba

clutch problems

Post by Jonwaba »

I was driving on the street yesterday and when i went to shift from 2nd to 3rd something happened with the clutch and all of the sudden it had no resistance and would not shift. i thought that maybe the clutch cable had broken but it was intact. took of the pedal assembly and the cable was not attached to the hook (do not know if that happened while taking off the pedals or not). got it back on the hook and the clutch cable tightened down again, but now it will not let me shift into gear and when i press the clutch it makes a grinding/whining noise. :shock:

prior to this i did not do anything to the clutch.

Please help! :(

let me know if any pictures or videos would help
Jonwaba

Post by Jonwaba »

i think that the noise was from the cable being to tight but i still do not know what would cause the clutch to suddenly stop working with no warning at all... clutch was fine then all the sudden it just went straight to the floor. no resistance.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Sounds like you've got it too tight after re-attaching it to the pedal. How much free play in there in the pedal before the cable starts to engage? Should have around 4/3 an inch. If you have resistance immediately, it's too tight. If you have more than 3/4 inch, it's too loose. If it's just right, the odds are high you broke something at the business end and will have to pull the engine.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I'm guessing the welds broke on the throw-out bearing carrier. You'll have to drop the engine to check.
Jonwaba

Post by Jonwaba »

Blue barton you got it, it was the welds that broke, on the ORIGINAL. I think 47 years is a pretty good run haha thanks for the help guys
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Another thing the factory eventually beefed up with a stronger part.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Nice call BB. :)
BlueOne

Post by BlueOne »

My just did this same thing and after the engine was pulled
we found that the two clips holding the throw out bearing had
slipped off and no clutch pedal , it was just sitting on the spline
shaft looking silly. :roll: the clutch cable looked brand new as well.
Wellman, Iowa
KKV270

clutch problems

Post by KKV270 »

Hi.

I'm experiencing clutch chatters. Only thing I had worked on recently to my experiencing the problem is the hand brake. That the cables all pass through the tunnel, could there be a relation to the problem?

I checked my bowden tube which is looking great.

Kindly advice. Realy dreading the reality of bringing the engine down.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Does the bowden tube have the proper amount of preload sag? It should be about an inch to an inch-and-a-half.
KKV270

clutch problems

Post by KKV270 »

Hi Blue Baron.

Yes. The bowden Tube has the right sag.

I loosened the hand-brake cables and drove a few Kms. Interesting enough, the matter stopped...however, I now have a more worrying problem. My braked don't hold well at the first step. I have to pump at least twice.... a major concern especially in emergency situations.

I tried tightening the hand-brake slightly should that be the matter affecting/creating the clutch shatter... This somewhat helped with the braking matter...but I am still driving in a undesireable state as I still have to pump.

What could be happening?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Try adjusting the brakes at the wheels and then bleeding the brakes.

Edit: After reading your other post, find all places where brake fluid is leaking and fix it, starting with that leaky wheel cylinder. Refill brake fluid and bleed brakes.