Real1966

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John

Keep the all original 1300 motor or upgrade

yes
82%
no
18%

Total votes: 17

real1966

Real1966

Post by real1966 »

25 Years waiting for the right one. Well I finally got it. All original 47k 1966 1300 type 1 sunroof sedan. The best thing is. I am the second owner. Has no after market, no rebuild, only original! Its in pretty close to untouched as you can get. I do have some work as I would like to pull the motor and clean it up over the winter...Oh did I mention that it has never seen a winter road.

Now I have some questions....outside of the standard Watch out for worn pans. What should I be looking out for? Now that I have one I am scared to mess it up. It starts perfectly with not a puff of smoke. I know I need to do a break kit ( whats the best to get?) and would like to install the rear seatbelt clips. ( Again where can I finds those ?). Lastely I am struggling with a choice to keep the original 1300 in it or upgrade.

Oh: Thanks to my wife for the chance to finally own bugger.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

With that original a car with that kind of mileage, why upgrade anything?

I know. You see people doing it all the time to perfectly nice, original cars. It's become expected even.

I'm content with a good-running 1300. If you like to modify, buy a second Beetle that's not as pristine.
Roadbug

Upgrade or keep original?

Post by Roadbug »

I side with the keep it stock voters.
An original 66 VW was and still is good vehicle to drive and enjoy
just as it was manufactured. if you want to create hot rod VW, do
it with one that can't be saved as original.
We drive ours in the Smoky Mountains and are thrilled withthe ride and power and don't care if the red-necks in pickups pass us, it's just as fun to drive as it was in 1966 in the German Black Forest.
An old car nut who got his driver's license in a new 1961 VW and has owned 10 VW's (1957-1972) since then. Favorite was the 67's (2), but the 66 is the longest owned and current VW.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I would definitely keep a car stock if possible.

I waited for 46 years before finding another 1966 Beetle Sedan. My first one was a brand new Blue Sedan while stationed in Germany from '65 to 1967. I paid $1495.00 for it.

I understand that 1300 jugs are hard to find and those that are available are very expensive.
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I would gladly swap anyone close my recently rebuilt 1600 for a good running 1300 to put back in my '66 Sedan.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Keep it stock if you can. I did not have that luxury as mine was a monster mash when I got it so went resto rod.