Glass Replacement

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

thatguy

Glass Replacement

Post by thatguy »

Greetings all!

I am soon to pull the glass (all original stuff BTW!) on my 66, and am seeking any "homegrown" tips on replacing the rubber/chrome striping. I have all the books, but I know that the garage can be a veritable font of tricks to make the job easier. This will be my first glass work of any kind and any aid would be GREATLY appreciated. :lol:

I have all of the rubber and trim pieces on their way to my most humble abode, and would like to have some sort of game plan before I try to pull the old stuff off.

Excelsior!

David
you know...what's his name....he's...thatguy

WIP: 1966 Restore
volksbugusa

Post by volksbugusa »

david:
since this is your first and most likely your last time that you will COMPLETE this project dont worry to much about it. i am hoping that you purchased german rubber . the glass edge must be clean and free from any dirt . PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY METAL SCREWDRIVERS .USE AND MAKE YOUR PICKS OUT OF WOOD ,,,LIKE A PAINT STICK..OK!! install the rubber first then install the metal inserts,you will need a light rubber mallet to install the trim into the rubber.you must take your time, the metal strip will fight with you. you must keep looking for the center point of the glass. this way when you go to install the center clips it will not look way off.hey if it was easy then how would the metal strips stay in place.:).the goal is to have the rubber and the strips installed and ready for the pull string.be carefully that you are useing the correct
channel for the glass!!you can use some silicone to install metal.
VOLKSBUGUSA
matt
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

David hopefully you ordered the rubbers with the blocked grooves! you will Thank us if you did!First take rubber and set in channel so in your mind which is the right groove,The body groove is wider and deeper install rubber to glass ,chrome to rubber.Install your string in body channel of rubber. Place masking tape in strategic spots to hold everything together.[ insted of string I used 18 gauge doorbell wire]Set in place with help from a freind ,not your wife :lol: You may want to eat later!lubricate rubber with a mixture of dish soap and water,Have freind apply a "little" pressure where you start,pull string slowly, one side then the other.Your string should be about 2 foot longer then what wraps around your windsheild,and the string ends should be in the center bottom when you start.Good Luck and use plenty lube it will clean up when your done.Once you've done one it gets pretty easy after that :lol: Happy New Year!
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife