66 vs 67 tranny

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

porsche99

66 vs 67 tranny

Post by porsche99 »

Iposted this in another area, but thought it should be here. Sorry if I screwed things up... but here is my ?.

Bought for $50 67 beetle and am parting out. It is really rough, but so far I got a good glove box (actually I got a lot of good parts and am only kidding). My question is that I was told that a 67 transmission is geared differently than a 66 and is better. Is this true and why? I am asking because getting the tranmission out is a real pain for me (this is New England and its cold as hell) and I want to clear my garage. I have a great 66 that I love. Should I save the 67 tranny, and if so, exert the effort and switch them out?

Thanx!!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Porsche99 - Not sure how I missed your post since I'm in here everday - Sorry about that!!! :oops:

Yes the transmission in 1967 was geared differently but according to the books I have it was only the third gear that changed. So in my opinion it's not worth the trouble of switching them out.

I deleted your previous post under My 1966 - don't feel bad - a lot of others have posted mechanical information over there, so I have moved those posts over to this forum - Thanks for the heads-up, it helps keep the board cleaner. John
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

If you have the time,drop the tranny and maybe you can trade it for a spare swingaxle tranny or something else you could use.a good tranny are harder and pricey to come by. just my thoughts! :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
porsche99

Thanks

Post by porsche99 »

Thanks all for your input! I guess I'll go to the trouble of saving, but not replacing my 66 tranny. As long as I have room for it I'll save it in case my tranny dies, which is probably very unlikely.

Merry Christmas to all!