Hello from Memphis!

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
VEX

Hello from Memphis!

Post by VEX »

Hello! I've been looking around this forum for a while now, and decided I'd finally join.

I've had my 1966 Beetle for 3 years now, and I love it! I used to think that either an early'60's or an early'70's was the best Beetle. Since owning my '66, I've definitely changed my mind!.

The '66 is, in my opinion, the best of both worlds. You get the older styling, while having all the good updated components.

Here's my car:

It's my daily driver.
It has no rust, and only minor damage to the front apron.

It has a1776cc dual kadron setup with a remote oil filter.

I've got some big plans for my little car. It was originally an L87 pearl white/red interior. I'm definitely putting it back to that. Also, I'm going to get all that horrible chrome out of the engine bay.

I want the car to "LOOK" completely stock.

I'm hoping to make the ultimate sleeper beetle. I'm going to go for an even larger engine, maybe a 1914 or possibly even a 2110cc! And mate that to a Porsche 5 speed transaxle. Also, I've got a friend who builds custom race fuel injections for Porsches, and he's said he could easily build a system for a flat 4. For wheels, I'm going to get some simple Mangle 5.5" steel wheels, and paint them to the stock black/white. I want to completely go through the suspension and replace with modern Bilstein units, and do a full Urethane bushing conversion.

So this car is going to be original looking on the outside, but fully modern, and seriously fast underneath. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
VEX

Post by VEX »

Basically, I want it to run like this car, but look like a perfectly stock restored beetle, just lowered about 2 inches front and rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke4t8YO0 ... re=related
(this guy is running a 2110cc, but with a stock trans.)
DownunderBlue

Post by DownunderBlue »

Wow, you'd be wanting to do something to the swingaxle or you'll flip the car in no time with a rear wheel tuck.

*edit* oh, sorry if that was patronising. I thought you'd just bought the car very recently, not a few years ago...
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hello VEX and welcome to the forum - nice ride!!! Thanks for joining!
VEX

Post by VEX »

DownunderBlue wrote:Wow, you'd be wanting to do something to the swingaxle or you'll flip the car in no time with a rear wheel tuck.

*edit* oh, sorry if that was patronising. I thought you'd just bought the car very recently, not a few years ago...
Oh, no your totally fine. :)

I'm definitely going to have to do a few mods to the rear end. I don't want any flipped beetles in my future!
Rene Descartes

Post by Rene Descartes »

hello and welcome to the site. cheers! :D