New from California

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
timmy2

New from California

Post by timmy2 »

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, and new to the world of VW bugs.

I just purchased a 1966 Type I (Hardtop w/sunroof) from a close friend who was moving. I've almost got it running. The generator needs to be re-built. I found a shop not too far from home that will do it.

Right now it's about five different colors of rust and bondo. But I believe it used to be the VW light blue.

It's going to need alot of work and is definitely a "project" car. I have already learned a few things on this site, and hope to learn much more. THANKS!!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Welcome. That does look like a heavily oxidized blue. What's the interior color?
timmy2

Post by timmy2 »

The interior is black as far as seats and door panels, but the headliner is white. At least one of the front seats is not an original 1966 seat. the one I think is original is broken and leans. I just made a purchase of a set of 1966 seats on Samba.com, and am awaiting their arrival. Everything inside will need to be re-done.

I also have a hole to patch around the battery box (common, I've heard).

I will keep the interior an origianl pattern, just not sure which one yet. As for the paint, I'm not sure what I'll go with there yet either. I kind of like the VW dark blue.

Since the wife won't put up with the way it looks right now in the driveway for long, maybe a cheap paint job will be done soon. Color at that point won't matter, it will just be to make it one color.

I also want to pull and store the 1300cc motor, and put in some sort of sleeper motor in the 1900-2000cc range. But I'm speaking out of my lane right now. I'm VERY new to the bug world, and as the saying goes, I don't know what I don't know yet.

Tomorrow after work I will strip the interior.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I'm sorry, what I really meant to ask was what color is the PAINT on the interior :)
OakBehringer

Post by OakBehringer »

Where in CA?
OakBehringer

Post by OakBehringer »

Where in CA?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I hear that "generator needs to be rebuilt" story all the time.

Check and replace the brushes if necessary. That's usually all it is. (The Muir manual has the procedure.)

Neat car.
timmy2

Post by timmy2 »

Been a while since I checked in. The car is coming along, but slowly. I will start a new thread in the proper area.