conking out!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

DUB10W

conking out!

Post by DUB10W »

i took my bug on its first long trip over the weekend. after about an hour of driving i pulled up to an intersection and it stalled and would not start. over the course of the day this happened five times. on two occasions i was able to clutch start, then i was able to start it with the air filter off, then i had to wait 25 minutes to start it, then lastly i was driving at night with the lights and the stereo on and i went to hit the hi-beams and it stalled again. does this sound like a common problem or fuel or spark or coil? any help would be apprechiated.

Regards Ewan
The Grounds' The Limit
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Ewan: Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner - I have been on vacation without my computer (Sorry). I'm not sure that you have an electrical problem - it sounds like a fuel issue to me. I would start by changing the fuel filter and see if that solves your problem (As a side note, my 72 super beetle did this same thing and it was always the furl filter). I think the stall when you pulled on the lights was perhaps a coincidence.

If it's not the fuel filter, and it is only killing when you turn something electrical on (Lights, brakes, etc.) then you may have a short somewhere and you will need to isloate what you are doing when it kills and then use a wiring diagram to trace through the wires to see if there is a short. My guess is that it is still fule related - but I will be curious to find out what you discover - let us know so we can all learn!
DUB10W

Post by DUB10W »

Thats ok and thanks for your reply. I hope you enjoyed your break!

Well it turns out it was combined of a few problems. There was an electrical short from the main power cable (fixed). Also the carby on my beetle since i got it (seeing that the original was worn out) is a ferrari weber. It is broken an over fueling causing the motor to flood the spark plugs. my mechanic made a temporary repair on my carby and a tune to get me buy.

I have purchased twin kadron carbys with manifolds and linkages etc second hand for AU$500. im sure they will be a much more suitable set up.

Regards Ewan
The Grounds' The Limit
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Great!!! Glad you got her running! THanks for the update! John