Front Fender Turn Signals

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Speedmster

Front Fender Turn Signals

Post by Speedmster »

Way before I got involved with putting dad's 66' back together the front fenders were replaced and they put on fenders that have no holes for the turn signals. I know that some folks like that option for a custom look. Well, we are going for an original look (now). Does anyone know of the correct position the turn signals need to be? Or even a measurement from fender lip, headlight bucket, hood to where the hole for the wiring harness needs to be?
kepoes

Post by kepoes »

I think i under stand. but on the 66 front fenders the turning light is not on the top of fender but inside the headlights. there all in one. ill post a picture of the way mine looks. see if its the same.
Attachments
michael 103.jpg
michael 103.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 9899 times
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

That's supposed to be the parking light! :lol:

The turn signal rubber is 7 3/4 inches from the headlight, and 1 3/4 ahead of the front quarter panel chrome strip. You should just be able to fit your index finger between the rubber and the fender beading at the tightest part. This should get you close enough!
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Perfect! That's what I needed to know. Thank you.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Yeah, many people shave the turn signals and just multipurpose the running lamps inside the headlight bucket. That's how mine are as well. Another very common trick is to relocate them to the fender grilles using motorcycle blinkers. It's aesthetic stuff that bleeds over from street rods and customs.

You might also be able to look underneath the fender and see if the welds are visible where the PO filled in the screw holes. If so, just drill them back out and you should be ready to rock. 2 small holes fore and aft of a larger center hole (where the loom for the light goes through)
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Not the best solution because VW moved the turn signals back on the fenders in '64, so if the donor car was a '63 or earlier they'd be too far forward for a '66.
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

12 years ago there were different ideas on how the car was going to to rebuilt. Now we are going for a more original restoration. The fenders are replacement fenders without the holes, no welds or previous holes to go off of.

Blue Baron, we used your suggestion and looked at another 66' also and dad drilled the holes yesterday and installed the turn signals. I was not there due to my one weekend a month, but will get some photos today and post them. Thanks for the info.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Sorry my measurements weren't more scientific, but they should get the job done.